mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Hayes Mag lever reach adjustement loose?

Hello experts,

Maybe someone could give me a little advice on this. I have Hayes Mag hydraulic disc brakes and I like the lever to be set quite away from the handlebar. I do that with the tiny screw in the lever, however, after each ride the lever comes back close to handlebar and I have to adjust again. Looks like the adjustment srew is lose. Is that common?

Would a threadlocker help?

Thanks for any experience!

Pavel

Geritol Power

Good job! I suspect it's common

I had that problem with my Hayes front brake, the back stayed adjusted fine. I used a drop of blue Locktite. Problem solved.

Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks! I am going to get a tube of this stuff!

Pavel

what's for lunch today?
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, blue loctite should fix it. I had the same problem on one of my levers when I first got my back. It's been a while since the problem has happened after a bit of Loctite.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

similar problem, please help

I have a similar question, I have HFX-9's and one of my levers got hit hard and poped it out, now it keeps happening, the ball on the end of the adjustment will not stay put in the socket for it unless I keep my finger on the lever, what do you recommend what do I do to keep this from happeneing? Do I need a new lever? or will the locktite work for this also?

what's for lunch today?
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I have a similar question, I have HFX-9's and one of my levers got hit hard and poped it out, now it keeps happening, the ball on the end of the adjustment will not stay put in the socket for it unless I keep my finger on the lever, what do you recommend what do I do to keep this from happeneing? Do I need a new lever? or will the locktite work for this also?
    I think the pivot pin is pressed, so you may have a shop look at it and replace it if necessary. The pin on one of my levers also started backing out after getting bent (huh huh) but I pressed it back in... then replaced the brakes with Louise FRs

The cat who could ride a bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I had this same exact thing happen. You ovalized the washer and the c-clip that is in there. Apparently it is pretty common. You LBS should be able to get a bunch of the washers and clips from Hayes for free. Good luck.

Matt