mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hayes Mag Lever pin removal - doing it properly

I have one of the earlier Hayes Mag levers with the pressed pin, not the hex bolt using the Allen wrench. I know that that you have to use a hammer and a punch pin to remove it. I know that there is a removal tool but its costly and would be only used once which is not worth buying it. I am planning to use a vice on a work table, so how do I take the pin out using a table vice without damaging the lever body? Anybody used a vice to remove the stubborn pin?

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Here's how I used to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Cmonster
    I have one of the earlier Hayes Mag levers with the pressed pin, not the hex bolt using the Allen wrench. I know that that you have to use a hammer and a punch pin to remove it. I know that there is a removal tool but its costly and would be only used once which is not worth buying it. I am planning to use a vice on a work table, so how do I take the pin out using a table vice without damaging the lever body? Anybody used a vice to remove the stubborn pin?
    Place the lever body in the vise with a small socket on one side of the pin and a drift punch on the other. Slowly clamp the vise and the drift punch will push the pin through into the socket. If your punch is too large for the vise jaws, a properly sized bolt will do the trick too. Make sure you support the whole assembly and go slowly since it's a little bit of a klunky procedure. Hope this helps!

BTW, if you wanted to upgrade the lever pin to the hex bolt assembly, I think I may have a couple knocking around in my parts bin that I'd be willing to part with for the cost of postage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thanks...

Thanks for the advice. I do have a friend in Calgary Alberta, who works for a shop and he is getting me the parts at cost. Of course I have to pay him and pick it up at his home.