mtbr member

HAYES: Love them - are you running 6" back, 7" front or ???

I ride a 6"x6" Enduro and they have the XT/XTR brakes on there that it came with. I don't really like them very much - they are 'fuzzy' and just don't have that classic Hayes feel that I have always liked so much. There are certain portions of my favorite loop where they fade a little and I don't like that. It was very suprising as they have much larger rotors than the Hayes I have been riding previously do.

So the question is: what rotor combo are you riding - 6" and 6" or 6", 7" or 7"x8" or 7"x7" or ??

Edit to add: looking to know what rotors you are running on your Hayes.

Also - what pads would have come stock with my XTR's? Maybe there is a simple pad switch that would make me happy?

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by gticlay; 01-25-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    203F 180R on my XTs...

don't move for trees
    I rode a 6" rear and an 8" front on my dh rig, seemed to work really nice, i could lock the back up no problem if I needed too. After braking the Hayes I switched to Juicy 7s and love the power and modulation from them, running the same rotors
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

ride hard take risks
    Hayes Strokers rock!! I have had the best success with Hayes brakes except for the 9's. Size of rotor would depend on type of riding & your weight/size. I ride AM-DH 185lbs & use Galfer rotors & pads, 8" front & 6" rear. Hayes has come out with a Semi Metallic pad for the Stroker Trails which should be comparable to the Galfer red pads, I have a set just need to put them in N ride.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got 9's and am running the v8 on the front and v6 on the rear.

As I'm gaining more and more experience with different brakes, I'm finding my opinion of them changing. They are a decent hydraulic, don't get me wrong, but they do have limitations. There are many good brakes out there that, with the same amount of effort I've put into my 9's to get them where they are, would far surpass what the 9's can do.

I'd say your XT's are a pretty good brake, but you'll need to do some tuning to get them where you want your brakes to be. A pad change is a good start and maybe upping the rotor size if you are getting fade.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    May 2004
    my hfx-9s have 8" front and back.....they are either on or off...nothing in between...HATE EM, wanna trade?

Anyone know if you can swap the hfx levers for strokers levers? Will you gain modulation with a better lever? the rotors and calipers are practically new, but i just hate the lack of modulation...i miss my old 4 piston XTs
    Last edited by nufenstein; 01-28-2008 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm developing a theory about them - HFX are very strong. Have you tried them with a smaller rotor? I've only run Hayes with the smaller 6" rotors and they modulate great. The 8" are designed for DH racing. If you merely switch to smaller rotors, your mechanical advantage will go down and you should gain modulation. My XTR's are running 203 (8") front and rear - they are a 'weak' system and require the larger mechanical advantage to 'equal' a Hayes with the smaller rotors. Anyway, that's my theory.

Double-metric mtb man
    It's true you gain some modulation, but if you're like me (bigger rider, up and down trails) the smaller rotors heat up faster and you can fade out an HFX9 fairly quickly.

Don't get me wrong, Hayes makes some good brakes....but they are more on the off/on feel side of things.

mtbr member
    I would really like to try the Hayes with 7" rotors. I used to be over 250lbs and am now 'really light' in the 21X range. I can overheat them from time to time but the XTR with the 8" rotors seem to fade even faster with the original metals.

Because I am !
    Hayes with original equipment 6" rear, 8" front for the last 2 1/2 years, no
    problems. 2nd set of pads are on the front, 3rd set on the rear.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    I have stroker trails and I'm running 203f and 180r. They are great!

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    So the question is: what rotor combo are you riding - 6" and 6" or 6", 7" or 7"x8" or 7"x7" or ??

Also - what pads would have come stock with my XTR's? Maybe there is a simple pad switch that would make me happy?

Thanks!!!
    The only Hayes ive heard good things about is the new Stroker. Shimanos.. much better modulation than the hayes 9s i have tried. 8" rotor up front and whatever in the back. Just make sure to use sintered or semi-metallic pads for no-fade and longegivity. The stock pads are usually really bad and designed to make you go out shopping for new ones soon.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by nufenstein
    my hfx-9s have 8" front and back.....they are either on or off...nothing in between...HATE EM, wanna trade?

Anyone know if you can swap the hfx levers for strokers levers? Will you gain modulation with a better lever? the rotors and calipers are practically new, but i just hate the lack of modulation...i miss my old 4 piston XTs
    I do not believe the Stroker levers are compatible with the HFX G1/G2 calipers. It may be the MC diameter... I seem to recall one of the members here trying it without success.

As for the Shimanos fading out... perhaps you need to try a different pad compound. Or maybe you have air in the system. Keep in mind though... the XTRs are marketed more towards the XC crowd.

Double-metric mtb man
    As XSL_Will noted, the XTR's are more of an XC brake.