mtbr member

Hayes Lever - Tiny Hole & Fluid

Does any one know what that tiny hole is for on top of the Hayes brake lever? I just flipped a bike over to adjust the front caliper and when I flipped it back a few tiny drops came out of that hole. The fluid smelled too minty like lube & water to be brake fluid. Is it as simple as dirty water dripping out? There is no change in how the lever feels... Or is it time to service the lever?

Your help is appreciated as always.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA-b
    Does any one know what that tiny hole is for on top of the Hayes brake lever? I just flipped a bike over to adjust the front caliper and when I flipped it back a few tiny drops came out of that hole. The fluid smelled too minty like lube & water to be brake fluid. Is it as simple as dirty water dripping out? There is no change in how the lever feels... Or is it time to service the lever?

Your help is appreciated as always.
    I think it may be a vent so the master cylinder resevoir bladder can expand and contract properly. The blader is assembled with a parker o-ring lube so maybe that mixed with water is what you smelled.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply, that was what I was thinking as master cylinder and bladder are a self contained system.