Perpetually single track

Hayes lever set screw backs out, help?

The set screw (just one side) on my Hayes HFX9's that adjusts the lever postion keeps on virbating forward, so that every ride I have to readjust it, or my lever hits my bars before the brakes really engage. Any advice? I've tried a dab of the blue locktite, with no luck, then I tried a lot, and just gummed up the internals of the brake lever pivot. Thinking of going red locktite next. It's frustrating.

Thanks,
    Kirk
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    The set screw (just one side) on my Hayes HFX9's that adjusts the lever postion keeps on virbating forward, so that every ride I have to readjust it, or my lever hits my bars before the brakes really engage. Any advice? I've tried a dab of the blue locktite, with no luck, then I tried a lot, and just gummed up the internals of the brake lever pivot. Thinking of going red locktite next. It's frustrating.

Thanks,
    Kirk
    I had the same problem, and the guy at the LBS dripped some blue lock tite in it, ovenight this gummed up my levers. SO the next day the mechanic from the LBS, and pulled my levers apart and then applied lock tite carefully to just the screw thread and then put the lever together.
    Haven't had a single problem again after another 3months of hard riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII

Thanks,
    Kirk
    make sure the screw is nice and clean, Carefully apply a small amount of blue loctite , set the screw at the position desired and the leave it alone (don't touch it or turn it) for the specified curing time. Then you'll be good to go.
    If that doesn't work then you may have some loose tolerance fit issues with the screw and nut.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    take your hayes brakes and levers off and replace them with something that sucks less.

until you do that, here's what i did:

1. screw the set screw all the way in (so the lever is getting further from the bars) until you can remove it.

2. put a tiny drop of loctite on the screw. not too much, or it'll gum up the pivot that the srew screws into and make your brake lever not move anymore. this is what typically happens if you screw the screw out and put loctite on the exposed portion.

3. reinsert the screw, and screw it out until you get the desired lever travel.

don't ask me why hayes can't figure out how to make brakes that suck less. i just ordered some avid mech's cuz i'm tired of the rubbing, incessant adjustment, and i just don't like the shape or feel of the levers.
    mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id