mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC Rubbing

I recently got a Kona Dawg with this brakes on them, I haven't ridden it yet but have noticed that both the front and rear brakes rub slightly. The rotor are perfrectly straight so that's not why. I could take my bike back to my lbs to have it fixed, but was wondering if this is easy enough to fix myself. Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I find it hard to believe that no one here can give me any advice on this subject.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... here..

Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyMan
    I find it hard to believe that no one here can give me any advice on this subject.
    You can take it to the LBS or here is a way to fix it....
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/Ge...EnglishWeb.pdf
    That should help a bit..
    But I have found that I can't get mine to stop rubbing, the rear is cause my rotor is not true and the front is either my hub or I have a sticky piston thing going on.
    Hope that helps a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks

Combat Wombat

Here you go.

Thanks
    Your bike should have come with a manual for your Hayes brakes. If so, go to the paragraph "C. Mounting the Caliper to the Frame or Fork". If you do not have this manual, you can find it at the Hayes web site www.hayesdiscbrake.com and open "Technical Information". There is all kinds of good info here and you will find your manual, "Full installation, Maintenance, and Service Manual", listed in five different languages. Pages 3, 4 and 5 have lever reach and caliper adjustment information. Also check out "FAQ - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions". I highly recommend performing the procedure listed there to increase your lever throw.
    Like what has been said many times before, proper initial setup is the key to not having problems with hydraulic brakes. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, this is a fairly easy process. Hydraulic disk brakes and how they function is actually quite simple and once you have them setup, are way less trouble and easier to maintain than V-brakes.
    One more note, if you decide to take the bike back to the shop and since your bike might not have come from the shop properly adjusted, educate yourself before going back. Read everything you can at the Hayes website and go the "Brakes" forum here at MTBR. Get a feel for experiences others have had with their Hayes disk brakes and their different opinions and ideas about problems. Ask them at the shop about how they adjust your brakes. You might learn something useful or you could find out that the person with the wrench knows less than you. That is not as uncommon as they might think.

Brian

There's no app for this.

It's because

on the upper right is a disc brake FAQ. This question pops up 2x a week +, and people just get tired of answering. Look over to the right at about 2 o'clock and see the disc FAQ symbol? click and read.

Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i think the main problem here is that hayes brakes kind of suck. i have 2 pairs, on 2 different bikes, and they both do the same things:

a) pads don't retract evenly
    b) pads don't retract very far, so there's minimal clearance for rotors bending or maladjustment

i worked for 6 years as a bike mechanic, and i can read manuals, but i still have alot of trouble getting these brakes to work right without rubbing, and i have ZERO tolerance for rubbing.

a friend has hope brakes (not sure which model) and when retracted, they have about twice as much clearance between the pads and the rotors.

do other brakes rub less?
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

There's no app for this.

My experience is Magura and Hope

My '00 Louise didn't rub, my '03 Hope's don't. My '02 Gustavs were designed to drag as a DH only brakeset. I believe they might be the only brake with drag designed that way.

The one set of Hayes I had didn't drag, but I didn't ride them much and sold that bike quickly.

I have some el cheapo Shimano 525's on my new trail bike, they don't drag either.

Once in a while all of them would suffer some rotor warp and corresponding rub until I trued the rotors. Most of the time now I just ride and it seems to disappear.

Hope that helps, Jim MCM #11