Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hayes Hydraulic disc squeal......

859 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Duckman 
#1 ·
Arrrrrrrrrgh. Have 2001 Hayes hydro discs transferred to my new bike. They have <200 miles on them. They modulated well and were silent until recently......now squeal terminally after short heat-up on descents. I cannot see any rotor warp or caliper misalignment. I have tried rubbing alcohol to no avail. Do I need new pads and should they be Hayes or will "generics" do? How can I tell if its the pads? Any advice appreciated. :confused:

#2 · (Edited)
Sometimes, when heated, the resin cooks to the top and glazes the surface. Then until its worn off, will offer a sqeal sometimes. This normally isn't a problem tho with most brake systems. Some brakes(like my Avids did along time ago)might have a "slight" drag to it. Enough to glaze a small spot, like a corner of the pad where its always rubbing. Come the first "real" descent..and therefore pressure, it sqeals it arse off until that little section of glaze is rubbed off. Then its ok until after the descent, and then the process starts all over again. Haven said all that(which is just mindless info really), I've run some red compound Koolstop pads on my Hayes equiped NRS(also an 01 Mag set retro'd to that ride)and have been on the same pads for 2 years now, and you know how much I ride. They rarely sqeal, being usually only after a good watercrossing like last Sats Bear Creek ride, and then its like once in a blue moon. FWIW.

I don't think the achohol cleaning will help. Sanding the surface "might", but the problem is more rooted then that, and it will come back probably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.