swimmerdude1127
    Jan 2004

hayes hmx 1 a good pick....?

hello, i recently bore down on my rim a little in a muddy race that made the brake pads go on me. i would really like disc power and reliability when it comes to adverse conditions. i dont want to bother with hydraulic discs, only mechanical, and the hayes hmx 1 seemed like a good, reliable, affordable choice for me.
    i have to squeeze the right brake lever harder now to stop because the rim surface is worn away, and is a bit slicker than the new finish that they put on it.

anyway, any users to hayes hmx 1's that would recommend them..... or anyone seen any problems....?

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerdude1127
    hello, i recently bore down on my rim a little in a muddy race that made the brake pads go on me. i would really like disc power and reliability when it comes to adverse conditions. i dont want to bother with hydraulic discs, only mechanical, and the hayes hmx 1 seemed like a good, reliable, affordable choice for me.
    i have to squeeze the right brake lever harder now to stop because the rim surface is worn away, and is a bit slicker than the new finish that they put on it.

anyway, any users to hayes hmx 1's that would recommend them..... or anyone seen any problems....?

thanks
    I have HMX-1's and they work great. I like them better than my buddy's Avids. Just make sure you set them up right - pads parallel to rotor surface. Although the Avids are easier to set up, I think the Hayes work better. The power is about the the same but Hayes has a more progressive feel. I also switched to discs because I ride in wet areas that grind my rims up. In the reviews there are several people who have had the pad adjustment screw freeze up. I spoke with a hayes tech about that problem and he said it does happen - but not all that often and it's covered under warranty.

Don

bi-winning

Bonking ... not feelin' well Don't do it!

I am one of those un-lucky folks who have had the adjustment seize up , so naturally i would not recomend them. also mine do squeak, braking performance is equal to decent v's but the bounus is when the trail is messy. If u want discs i dont know what else to recomend other than the avid's.

keep the shiny side up!
    i've used them before and found that they work quite well. adjustment was a snap. i prefer the feel of hydros, but the hmx-1's worked pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Working great on my son's bike

Proper setup is essentional. Unlike Avids, there the Hayes doesn't have compensation for out of square bosses, so if you have that problem the brakes may never work as well.

As far as getting the adjusters stuck...I haven't seen it but have come very close to this condition with Avids. If you twist the pads against the rotor just a little too tight it is almost impossible to loosen them.

Danny