Thread: hayes hmx-1

Ont-Trail-Rider

hayes hmx-1

Ok I have posted this in beginner thread and was told to take a look in here. First time in the break section actually. LOL never noticed this section in the past but I hope to solve this problem.

After looking through some threads I still can't find a definite answer.

My back tire turns freely. No problems.

Front seems to rub against one of the disc pads. HMX1 has an adjuster knob that you can adjust this pad in question. I have tried to turn it to give the most amount of clearance between the pad and the disc, but there is still a total rub.

Have I not worn the front pad enough? Or is this a problem? The bike rides great IMO. I just feel maybe if there is no rub it will run even nicer... I have seen some post about HMX seizing up? What exactly does that mean? is that linked to my problem?

Any help on this would be great.
    Last edited by crank; 03-02-2004 at 12:07 PM.
    Cheers!

There's no app for this.

FAQ is here

and here is where I was pointing you. Please read up and see if it helps your problem. Jim

http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml

Ont-Trail-Rider

faq

Thanks for pointing me in some type of direction. The FAQ helped understand the disc breaks more. And also I should be able to reduce or help the squeaking problem after reading that.

However because the bike is still fairly new, I can't see it being a warp problem. The disc is in total contact with the pad. So its not like its... "Part of the pad is running" the one pad has good clearance and the other does not. So I am starting to think I have not used or break enough to break it in properly yet. The back is fine and has a small clearance between the one pad. And I have adjusted it to where I can't make the pad go away from the disc anymore then it is.

I will keep looking thou... After another month I could possibly ask the lbs or call Hayes up and get some advice. And keep a watchful eye out on these forms.

The other thing too, maybe I am just making this a bigger problem then it is. The bike stops great. Just figured I could get more roll from the front tire.
    Last edited by crank; 03-02-2004 at 12:09 PM.
    Cheers!

There's no app for this.

no drag is good drag

as per the FAQ, there are a myriad of possibilities; the tabs need facing, there aren't the right spacers; blah blah blah.

Get your butt to the store that sold it to you and have them make it right! you paid for it right?

Good luck, Jim

and this might help a bit too...
    http://www.iespell.com

Ont-Trail-Rider

thanks

Thanks for the help and reply’s back Jim. I really appreciate your feedback. I feel the breaks should be more then broke in now, so I will drop by the LBS and see what they can do for me.

Anyhow what typos! LOL When I am rushed for time, I can type some dandies sometimes!

Thanks
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    I had this same problems with my Hayes. To resolve the problem follow the steps below.

carefull not to touch roter or pads as this will contaminate and cause squeel.

1) Get two business cards
    2) Slightly loosen the bolts that hold the caliper to the fork.
    3) Slide cards on each side of the roter between pads and roter.
    4) Sqeeze the brake lever and hold, easiest with someone helping you for this part.
    5) With lever held down and cards in between roter and pads, tighten you bolts back up and remove the cards.
    6) Check for rubbing. If rubbing still persists try again. You can even use two cards on the rubbing side but be careful that you are not pushing the roter to one side when braking.

This should remedy the problem. it may take a couple of trys to get it right. some advice, don't lossen the bolts too much, start with a little and see if you can move the caliper if not try a little more.

Feel free to email me if you need more explination.

Ont-Trail-Rider

will do...

Hey thanks for the reply back. When I get home from work I will give that a try. Worth a try anyhow, but if that does not work I am just going to bring it to the shop where I bought it. They said it would not be a problem to correct. ? So it can't be that big of a deal.

Overall however I am very happy with these mech's. I used some iso-alcohol to clean the disk them selves and was suprised how gunk come off onto the paper town I applied the iso with. NO squeaking now, and it DOES have a few tire rotations now instead of just one. But there is still contact.
    Cheers!