Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Hayes HFX9s Lever Position Adjustment?

I like to run my brake levers really close to my grips (I've got an f'd up wrist).

I've adjusted the adjustment screw as far (out) as I can on my HFX9s but the lever is still too far away from the bar for my liking.

I've drained a little oil, but it didn't seem to help. Should I just keep draining? Does oil level relate to this issue?

Your thoughts?

Former Bike Wrench
    Brake Fluid does not help adjust in the levers. If they are maxed out then they are maxed out...maybe some of the aftermarket levers have a shape that puts them closer.

squish is good
    You can try resetting the pads back and then pump them out again. The lever has enough throw that it should let you get it pretty close if the pads are spaced correctly.
    Bike good, work bad.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    So... oil level has no effect on the lever's "parked" or "fully engaged" positions?

My right lever adjusts as much as needed (so do my Mags on my other bike) but this one lever just can't be adjusted "enough". I've run out of threads...

Could there be something wrong with the master cylinder? Kind of grasping for a solution I know...

PS: I plan to replace them soon... but it would be cool if I could get these to work better in the mean time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It sounds like your brake might have been over filled, preventing the pistons from being pushed all the way back into the caliper. Rotate the master cylinder so the bleeder is facing up and remove the plug.

Put a clean screwdriver between your pads and push the pistons back into the calliper all the way. Make sure you have a rag to catch the fluid that comes out of the master cylinder.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Pumping some oil out of the system did the trick. I was surprised how much oil I had to pump out to get the lever where I wanted. It took 4 lever pulls...