Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hayes HFX9 rear brake lever not returning

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TerpRider 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have hayes hyraulic disc brakes (HFX9s). When I squeeze the rear brake lever the brake works, but the lever does not return (unless I push it out manually!). What would cause this and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

Adam

#5 ·
Lever Pivot?

adamp said:
Hi,

I have hayes hyraulic disc brakes (HFX9s). When I squeeze the rear brake lever the brake works, but the lever does not return (unless I push it out manually!). What would cause this and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

Adam
I had trouble with mine when the lever/master cylinder plunger pivot siezed. This is the pivot with the small adjuster screw for lever throw... The set screw kept backing off during riding, so I put a drop of loctite on it. The loctite got on the pivot as well and stopped it from turning as the lever was pulled, making it slow to return. I pulled the pivot out and cleaned/lubed and all is well... Check it out...

Cheers
:cool:

#6 ·
airman said:
I had trouble with mine when the lever/master cylinder plunger pivot siezed. This is the pivot with the small adjuster screw for lever throw... The set screw kept backing off during riding, so I put a drop of loctite on it. The loctite got on the pivot as well and stopped it from turning as the lever was pulled, making it slow to return. I pulled the pivot out and cleaned/lubed and all is well... Check it out...

Cheers
:cool:
AAAHH!! I'm not the only one. I had my shop make some adjustments on my bike last year (because it was still new. we all do this until they mess something up.) and they got loctite in that same pivot point on mine. So I raced the 24 hours of Snowshoe with brake levers that wouldn't return. I could not figure out what was wrong for the longest time. Tried bleading them, with no success. In the process of fixing them I stripped the head of the master cylander on one of the levers. talk about bad luck! I had to go back to the shop at that point and we worked out a deal. I paid for the new part, and they did the labor for free, because I stripped the part myself but it was their mistake that caused me to try to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.