mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hayes HFX9 design flaw

Check this email I got from Hayes. I would love to hear about your expirience with this issue:

Hi -
    The problem you have with your adjustment screw can be fixed. We recommend using loctite 242. Or loctite brand called Tite'n, which comes in a white tube. Or I know a lot of people use Teflon tape which is better known as pipe tape. Which you can find all three at your hardware store.
    When you apply the loctite, only put a small amount, that is all you will need. If you end up putting to much on your lever will have a hard time moving because the loctite will get inside the barrel adjuster. Which is the threaded barrel that your adjuster screw threaded though.
    Hope that helps you out.
    Best regards, Kim

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 7:39 AM
    To: hayestech
    Subject: FW: Contact Hayes Brake Form

Hi, I bought a Cannondale Jekyll 800 - 2004 which Hayes9 disk brakes installed. Both me, a friend which ride the same bike and other people we meet (including our LBS) are having one problem with the setting screws on the levers. they tend to screw out during riding which changes the setting of where the brakes start to brake!. In an extreme situations, you can loose your braking ability since the setting screw can go all the way out. Treating it with blue lock tight didnt help. Our LBS says you are familiar with this problem. Any suggestions? Regards, Omer Eiferman.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My riding buddy has the same problem. During one ride he tried to adjust the screw using my multitool when he striped the thing bald. The lever blade was in but he couldnt do anything adjustments anymore.

Apparently, the screw is part of the cylinder assembly. He had to bring in it to have that part of the cylinder replaced. After about six months of on and off riding its happening again...

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    It's not only the HFX9 that have that problem.
    The only situation is to apply a good amount of locktite to it, but be careful not to stick your levers!
    Mine were all fixed till about 1month ago when I noticed it was happening again. I just screwed it back in, and for some reason it has gone away again...

It can be ennoying but it isn't such a huge deal once you get it fixed.

rolling in the greens

superglue is what worked for me

i had it fixed using loctite 242 at the tech booth at Mt Snow. It worked loose a few months later when i was doing an all day downhill session @Mt Snow again. This time i did it my self. i unscrewed the entire bolt...leaving the allen going throught the barrel and put one (1) drop of loctite "superglue" called precision and then pulled the bolt back throught the barrell to the position i wanted and let it dry overnight. That was a month and a half ago (i ride 4-5 times a week for 12-15 hours totall) and they are still tight.
    Kim is correct be very carefull not to get any glue on the barrell or it will seize up the lever. I for one am looking at the El Camino's or jucy 7's for my next brake with the finger adjustable reach bolt.
    Good luck bro's
    Keith Bontrager: "Strong, light, cheap pick any two."

"Something strong and light ain't gonna be cheap. -That's what I call bling.

And cheap and strong ain't gonna be light. -That ain't bling."
    -----[SIZE=3]locoman
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"That said, I never deal with bike shops for the same reasons. I am a ebay and mail order whore and I don't care"[/SIZE] -----[SIZE=3]yetisurly[/SIZE]

Out Of Control
    That's exactly what i'm planning on doing. Upgrading to the Camino levers in spring.

bi-winning
    This was a problem with the 2004 brakes. Now, i am looking at some '05 bikes, and I see some with the HFX 9 brakes on them. Does anyone know if the problem would be fixed for '05? I would not want to buy a bike with a known defect., and i know nobody else would either.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    This was a problem with the 2004 brakes. Now, i am looking at some '05 bikes, and I see some with the HFX 9 brakes on them. Does anyone know if the problem would be fixed for '05? I would not want to buy a bike with a known defect., and i know nobody else would either.
    It's not a known defect. It takes all of about 3min to put some locktite on the bolts and it won't happen again. Great brakes for the money.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I had the same problem with my 9ins that came on my Coiler, I was really hating them because the adjuster screw kept moving. After using medium Lock tight I'v had no problems ( after 4 months) and am actually becoming quite fond of them , until I get my El Caminos

Authority is dead!

hfx is bad.

Hayes suck, but at least they are friendly and willing to help!
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    It's not a known defect. It takes all of about 3min to put some locktite on the bolts and it won't happen again. Great brakes for the money.

-TS
    so does that mean that since it is such a simple fix, no change was made?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa

-TS
    Is Hayez in association with Loctite Co??
    There are hundreds of ways to get the thing fixed. Even a small locknut. It would be cheap for Hayez, would take more less the same time than the Loctite stuff and would last until you want to.

And Hayez would build a better reputation for following problems and fix them.

Just my 2 cents.
    Check my Site

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Is Hayez in association with Loctite Co??
    There are hundreds of ways to get the thing fixed. Even a small locknut. It would be cheap for Hayez, would take more less the same time than the Loctite stuff and would last until you want to.

And Hayez would build a better reputation for following problems and fix them.

Just my 2 cents.
    Yes your probably right but for how much the product costs and how simple thge fix is why bother? I'm personally going to get some Juicys or Caminos next year and will never own HFX-9s again but thats just because i get stuff for cost and like the performance of higher end disk brakes alot more. Can the average person tell the difference though?

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What if you are not careful???

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    It's not only the HFX9 that have that problem.
    The only situation is to apply a good amount of locktite to it, but be careful not to stick your levers!
    Mine were all fixed till about 1month ago when I noticed it was happening again. I just screwed it back in, and for some reason it has gone away again...

It can be ennoying but it isn't such a huge deal once you get it fixed.
    My ride is three months old. In no time at all, the front lever started re-adjusting itself. It got to a point that I would have to get out the allen wrench about every five miles of trail and adjust the lever. The first time I tried the Loctite thing, I used one drop. I mustn't have gotten it right, because it didn't work. Second try, I got plenty of it on there. But I think I got some excess Loctite on other parts - the lever does not retract very well and the caliper will now drag very slightly on the rotor. Any idea how to fix it up would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bi-winning

News From Interbike!

The 2005 model now features:

"New anti-rotation reach adjustment bushing "

that should fix the problem

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My bad story

I idiotically put way too much loc-tite on my hfx mag brakes and not only did things not retract but I stripped the allen bolt when trying to undo things. Now the brakes retract perfectly but the levers are stuck in the furthest reach but that's fine for me cuz my hands aren't small.
    This ranks as my #1 bonehead move of the last year.

ballbuster

dang

Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I idiotically put way too much loc-tite on my hfx mag brakes and not only did things not retract but I stripped the allen bolt when trying to undo things. Now the brakes retract perfectly but the levers are stuck in the furthest reach but that's fine for me cuz my hands aren't small.
    This ranks as my #1 bonehead move of the last year.
    did you put Red Loctite on? Use blue for most small bolts up to M6-M8 or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Screwed

The screw backing out has been an issue from the begining with design of the hayes lever. I never really hear about people loosing them but your brake adjustment changes on the fly
    Not a problem thou, I locktite them all when new. I use the purple (small screw) loctite. It stays kinda soft and makes the screw easier to turn. Try not to use red....might be a problem in the future moving the screw.....

Hayes are great brakes.....

Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Don't use red loc-tite, this stuffs meant for permanent locking. Anyways, I had the same problem with my '04 HFX-9's and after taking a look at it, I realized the screw was slightly small for the tap. I toyed around at my shop, found a screw off another pair of Hayes, and now it works fine. Weird. Anyways, you don't even need to use loc-tite. I have used teflon tape wrapped one time around the threads and than screwed in, and it has worked wonders.