mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Hayes HFX9 Carbon - feedback anyone?

I've been dealing with a squealing rear Avid Mech brake for almost a year now. The front brake is relatively quiet. I've tried different pads, sanding the pads, sanding the rotor, cleaning w/alcohol, all sorts of different caliper alignments and even went to my auto mechanic for him to try some of the products he uses on car brakes - none of this helped! So, I'm considering replacing the brakes. BTW - I ride a Turner Burner.

A LBS suggested the Hayes HFX9-Carbon w/wavey rotors. Anyone using these? Got any feedback?

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    I havent used them but believe they are essentially exactly the same as the normal HFX9 except they have carbon levers. Therefore they wont work any differently to normal HFX9. However they look a little cooler!

Also, if you look at a number of reviews here, you will find that they tend to have average views. Good luck! A guy in Hong Kong on ebay sells them reguarly for a great deal, I have bought from him a number of times with great success.

No, that's not phonetic
    I have only demoed them for a day, but I did not like the lever shape at all. The standard Hayes alu lever blade is nicer. The carbon lever blades have a tiny knob at the end of the finger well and it does not provide a very good purchase. I hope they dumped the weird split clamp too. It was just awful. Power seemed fine and they felt like all the other Hayes I have tried in terms of overall action, as ryan123 mentioned.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.