mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Hayes HFX-nine Lever Problem - Urgent!

I have a real bad problem with my 2005 hayes hfx-nine rear lever.
    Whenever I tilt it downwards to normal riding position, it gets all spongy and wont brake properly, but when it is tilted upward it works like a dream.
    What is wrong? is it that the fluid in the cylinder cant enter the hose?
    It is very important that I find out, as I really need brakes to stop me.

Never enough time to ride
    Sounds like you have air in your master cylinder and you simply need to give your brakes a bleed. That should take care of your issue.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i've tried bleeding them myself, but i think i did it wrong. thanks a ton.

DIRT DART
    mine had pretty much the same problem, it worked great one ride then the next ride it was really spungy and thever almost touched the bars, so what i did was just take the master cylinder cover off and pump the lever slowly and you will see tiny bubles coming out keep doing this untill there are no more bubbles and at the same time tap the line with a wrench or screwdriver just infront of the M/S, when there are no more bubbles fill up the reservoir and put the cap back on and that should do it, if that didn't do it then you might need a rebuild of the M/S

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by b-40
    when there are no more bubbles fill up the reservoir and put the cap back on and that should do it, if that didn't do it then you might need a rebuild of the M/S
    I did that originally, and a ton of fluid spilled out. is this normal?
    also, how can I fill up the MS fully?

DIRT DART
    yes because that rubber blader on the underside of the cap is displacing the fluid that the reservoir doesn't need, when pumping the lever did you notice if the fluid would rise and fall? if it did i think you need a rebuild, i have notice on other systems when the fuid rises and falls the same amount when the lever is pumped the seals on the inner piston are shot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    what im saying is that when i took the cap off originally, i lost a lot of fluid. I think tomorrow night i will throw it up on the stand, take off the cap, pump it until no more air comes out, top it off, and then replace the cover. I think that should work. I hope so. I want to sell the bike so the brakes better be in damn good condition.