mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hayes HFX Mag---What's causing this?

Finally got out the MTB for the season this weekend. I bled my Hayes right at the end of the season last year... maybe had 2 rides after the bleed. So when I was getting ready to ride, I noticed these problems: The front calipers are very tight on the rotor, tight enough that it felt like I was braking when I wasn't. Working the brakes a bit made this go away, by the end of the ride the front brake was in good shape again. Which is a good thing... because my rear lever goes all the way to the bar, and all I get is superficial pad contact... I can hear it, but there is no braking power. What's going on with these things? It almost seems like I have to bleed them before every ride. Any advice?

Curtlo Hardtail(liatdraH)

I don't own Hayes but this is my guess

Sounds to me like the front brake is acting just as it would after long term storage, and the rear brake sounds to me like it maybe has a leak, or it never was bled properly. From the rear brake's symtoms, it either doesn't have enough fluid or has a lot of air trapped.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The rear brake was fine after the last bleed, which is why this struck me as odd... Also, while I'm not sure about the fluid leak, I did not notice any puddles on the carpet under the bike...

Quote Originally Posted by liatdraH
    Sounds to me like the front brake is acting just as it would after long term storage, and the rear brake sounds to me like it maybe has a leak, or it never was bled properly. From the rear brake's symtoms, it either doesn't have enough fluid or has a lot of air trapped.

mtbr member

happened to me...

i bled my front brake, everything seemed fine, good lever reach and by the end of my first ride the lever squeezed to the handlebar. sounds like a bad bleed, sometimes air gets trapped and doesn't work it's way through the hose until you do a good ride and the vibration sends it up to the lever. bleed again and i bet it'll be good, tap on the hose as you're forcing the fluid through.

your first problem sounds resolved. if you accidentally squeezed or bumped the lever with the wheel out this can happen. the hayes tech manual explains how to back the calipers out with the boxed end of a wrench if it's ever so tight you can't get the rotor in between the pads. you should be fine now, just remember to never squeeze the lever with the wheel out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think I squeezed the lever with the wheel off, but my workspace is so small that I could have easily bumped it or something. I have a couple of these plastic spacers that came with the brakes that are perfect for spreading the calipers, so I usually use those.

I'll rebleed the back, hopefully that will fix it. Thanks!

I like the power and modulation of hydraulics, compared to Avid BBDBs, but damn they sure are finicky!

mtbr member

da mags

I like the power and modulation of hydraulics, compared to Avid BBDBs, but damn they sure are finicky![/QUOTE]

actually once you get everything bled and locked in you will be happy. once i got my mags set up properly i never had to touch them other than changing pads, going on 3 years now.