mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Hayes HFX Mag Plus or Magura Marta SL

I'm trying to decide between these brakes. I've read reviews and while the Hayes score a little lower over all, it seems in tha long term people are happier. These will be my first disc brakes and I do a lot of city riding and trail riding. They are going on a Kestrel Edge with '04 SID Race forks. I want to keep things light that's why I'm looking at these two. I also want something that will be pretty user friendly and have easily accessible parts.

I also considered the Hayes ElCamino, but I don't know the weight yet and I'm unsure about being the guinea pig.

Thanks for any help and let me know if there's anything else I need to tell you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtucker381
    I'm trying to decide between these brakes. I've read reviews and while the Hayes score a little lower over all, it seems in tha long term people are happier. These will be my first disc brakes and I do a lot of city riding and trail riding. They are going on a Kestrel Edge with '04 SID Race forks. I want to keep things light that's why I'm looking at these two. I also want something that will be pretty user friendly and have easily accessible parts.

I also considered the Hayes ElCamino, but I don't know the weight yet and I'm unsure about being the guinea pig.

Thanks for any help and let me know if there's anything else I need to tell you.
    If weight is a primary concern I would say go for the Magura marta SL's.

As for the ElCaminos they probably wont be available for 2 months.

I think I need to Upgrade

I have seen less problems (leakage) from the Hayes brakes, so I would have to say go with the Hayes over the Magura's. Have you looked at the Hope brakes? They are a solid brake system, and the Hope Mono Mini is light weight.

mtbr member
    My Mag Plus's are light and have great power and modulation. I'll be selling them soon for the El Caminos though.

(aka SS_MB-7)

I've never liked the on/off feel of Hayes, so I've never owned a set.

What I can tell you is that I absolutely love my Marta SLs. I've got a set mounted on each of my MTBs and they've got incredible modulation, amazing 1-finger power, dead-quiet, reliable, easy to install/bleed, etc.

Plus, they are going to be lighter than the Hayes Mag Plus. The Marta SLs are 706g/set, uncut, fully bled, all hardware, etc. The Hayes are 386g (front) and 416g (rear) (total = 802g/set) , as per Weight Weenies, but this does not include the required ISO adapters you'll need, which are ~25g each. So, that's about 850g/set vs 706g/set.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Mike B,
    How long have you had your Marta's? I'd really prefer the lighter weight, but I'm concerned about how the Marta's hold up long term. I forgot about the adapters.

AzSpeedFreek,
    I looked at the Hope's, but the reviews didn't come across as good as the Hayes or Maguras. How long have you had your Hayes?

11 is one louder than 10

For me hayes, for you..

... who knows. The Hayes advantage is they generally are set it and forget it. Do they modulate great, no (but not bad), are they the lightest no (but not the heaviest), but they generally are trouble free once set up.

the martas are light, work well when working. But they are more finnicky to set-up, bleeds etc. Too much hassle for me, but others love them. At my 200+lbs, not the best pick either.

BTW, according to hayes the El Camino's aren't going to be lighter than the Mag Plus, the Camino's will not be coming with the Ti bolt kit though, and that is where most of the Mag Plus weight savings come from.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Bodhisattva
    There are no long term durability problems with Martas.
    99% of the problems with initial setup & use due to improper installation and bleeding.
    Once setup properly, which isn't difficult, they are essentially maintenance free.
    Plus, you have the benefit of having the Magura Cult Members here to help you and the best customer service in the business.
    I've always found Hayes to be very grabby with an on/off feel. I don't care for them.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Slow riding mama's boy

Love my marta sls.

I've had them for almost two years, never had to change the pads, although I've had to have the front brake bled twice, both times after turning the bike upside down. Other than that, I love them. Look great, nice feel, super light.

I dig em.

In my experience, though, if I'm trying to choose between two fairly reputable products, it's not worth agonizing. Pick up whatever's a better deal or floats your boat and ride, brutha. Ride.

Joel

here today
    What about the other Magura's (Louise ?) as progressive and reliable ?

Bodhisattva
    No problems with my 2 year old Louise FR. Just change the pads once to twice a year &microadjust them from time to time and go. No maintenance necessary and i've even had them upside down !!!

― Albert Einstein

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Mike B,
    How long have you had your Marta's? I'd really prefer the lighter weight, but I'm concerned about how the Marta's hold up long term. I forgot about the adapters.
    I've got about 7 months on one set and 5 months on the other. Both are incredible! I, too, am curious to see how they'll perform in the Winter months and how they'll be after a year's worth of racing, training and riding. So far, so good.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

AzSpeedFreek,
    I looked at the Hope's, but the reviews didn't come across as good as the Hayes or Maguras. How long have you had your Hayes?
    As far as the Maguras go, I just don't trust them, I work in a shop and they always seem to have leakage problems. The Hayes are a great brake, but I don't like the on/off feel and the levers don't work (shape wise) for 1 finger braking. I have sold probably more Hope brakes than any other Hyd. brake and not a single one has come back for bleeding or service and not a single person has been unhappy in any way.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    As far as the Maguras go, I just don't trust them, I work in a shop and they always seem to have leakage problems. The Hayes are a great brake, but I don't like the on/off feel and the levers don't work (shape wise) for 1 finger braking. I have sold probably more Hope brakes than any other Hyd. brake and not a single one has come back for bleeding or service and not a single person has been unhappy in any way.
    Hmmm, I've got to wonder who is installing or bleeding the Maguras that keep coming back with leakage problems. Magura has a 5-yr leak warranty...any other company offer that?

As for the Hopes. Yes, they are a beautifully CNC'd brake that offers pretty good power and performance, but I was less than impressed with their modulation. Even more so, I absolutely hated the constant squealing and noise...no matter if it was dry or wet. The Martas are dead-quite, no matter the conditions. I hate noise.

As far as I am concerned, I'm sticking with my Marta SLs since they offer the complete package: power (best I've found yet in such a light package), 1-finger modulation, beautiful carbon levers that feel so nice in your fingers, quiet, light, excellent customer service, excellent pad-wear, easy installation, easy bleeds, etc.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Bodhisattva
    no offense, but I'd put money down that the 99% of the folks who come into your shop with Magura "leak" problems are not having their brakes serviced properly.

― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    no offense, but I'd put money down that the 99% of the folks who come into your shop with Magura "leak" problems are not having their brakes serviced properly.

See I thought about that, but the thing is we have people come in from other shops asking if we can try to fix their brakes. They have tried to fix them on their own and we have tried to fix them. The only thing common with all of them is the fact that they are made by Magura. Now don't get me wrong I like Magura Martas, they are a great brake, but because of the leakage problems, I myself can't reccomend them until I see some improvement done to them.

As far as the squealing on the Hope brakes, it is all in the setup. I Had no squealing until I replaced my rear wheel, and now I am getting some squealing, mainly because I didn't have/take the time to set them up properly because I was late for my ride. As soon as I take the time to set them up properly, there will be nomore squeal.

A little hint for those that are getting squeal from their Hope brakes. When you shim the calipers out with the washers you may not need the same number of washers on each bolt, ex. you may neeed 2 thick and 1 thin on the front bolt and 2 thick and 1 medium on the back bolt. Also think about having the brake tabs faced by a shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    ... who knows. The Hayes advantage is they generally are set it and forget it. Do they modulate great, no (but not bad), are they the lightest no (but not the heaviest), but they generally are trouble free once set up.

the martas are light, work well when working. But they are more finnicky to set-up, bleeds etc. Too much hassle for me, but others love them. At my 200+lbs, not the best pick either.

BTW, according to hayes the El Camino's aren't going to be lighter than the Mag Plus, the Camino's will not be coming with the Ti bolt kit though, and that is where most of the Mag Plus weight savings come from.
    My HFX-9 seems to modulate much smoother than my Mag, FWIW. The 9s are not exactly light, but they're a cheap option if you don't like the grab of the Mags.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I've owned both: go Hayes!

I'll admit, I had a miserable time with the Marta's. I had a bad one in the back that took me a year to send back to Magura. Everyone kept saying I was doing something wrong. Nope! Bad brake. However, they do modulate well and the customer service is awesome! Right there with King.

I ride plain old Hayes Mags now. They are a true set up and forget brake. Light? Nope. Modulate great? Not bad but no great. However, they never interrupt my ride time because I'm screwing with them. Plus, they are dead quiet. I love the feel of the levers too. Last, you can get a screaming deal on them now as the El Camino comes out.

All in all, I think I had an atypical problematic time with the Marta's. Nonetheless, a nice company that really tries to please their customers. Tough choice.

Good luck,

Jaybo

PS I ate brake pads like candy. They are $30 a wheel for pads. Ouch! However, I either am going straight up or down where I ride. I ride steep, long downhills that really tax a braking system, so others who ride in flatter areas get a lot more life out of their pads. I also ride in the wet quite a bit.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 11-26-2004 at 09:44 AM.

here today
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I'll admit, I had a miserable time with the Marta's.
    Welllll after hearing all is grief and local riders lore I just bought a new set of Oro's. Well see !