mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Hayes HFX-9's Brake Issues

So riding yesterday at Winter Park I lost my rear brake. I had taken a spill on Trestle the run earlier and figured during the process I developted an air bubble in the line, which couldn't be worked out. I took it down to bike shop and bled the the brakes. Lots of bubbles came out in the first half of the line, everything seemed to be on the up and up. I reattached the brake and went to dial in the pull on the lever and as I pumped the lever after each pull I could feel the lever come closer to the bars until the system wasn't working again. I leave for Moab on Thursday and don't have time to figure it out this week before we leave (and I really want my 7point for Porcupine) so I have my bike at the shop; the mechanic there is convinced I just bled the brakes incorrectly (which is possible I'm not a master) but I feel like something else is going on.

Anyone else have experience with this? Any ideas? Fluid isn't leaking from the system but it seems to me somehow air is getting into the system. The reservoir seal is fine which I know can sometimes be a culprit.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sounds to me like you busted youtr hose and the fluid is now leaking in between the layers of the hose.Check the hose over for any kinks, especially under the rubber nose cone piece where the hose enters into the lever assembly. Kinks like to hide out there. Remember, a hose is comprised of three layers, so while it might be leaking internally, it won't actually leave a wet spot on your floor.
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ^^^^Good thought, I am thinking the leak is near the lever assembly since when I bleed the line the air bubbles are in the first part of the hose. It seems to make sense, I'll run it by the bike shop today when I talk to them.