mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Hayes HFX 9 XC Question

I got a great deal on a 2004 Liquid 55 frame ($50) and am building up this bike as an upgrade from my '09 Trek 4300. When it comes to brakes I have decided to try out hydros and think the Hayes HFX 9 XC will fit the bill nicely. I have heard that it is pretty common to run a 7" front and 6" rear rotor, however the store I am looking at only has the rear in 7" rotors, while the fronts are available in 6", 7", and 8" sizes. Can I buy the 7" rear and a 6" front, and simply swap the rotors? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    You can swap the rotors which ever way you want, however the front and rear mounts are not interchangeable. You will have to buy at 7" front mount.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstripes
    I got a great deal on a 2004 Liquid 55 frame ($50) and am building up this bike as an upgrade from my '09 Trek 4300. When it comes to brakes I have decided to try out hydros and think the Hayes HFX 9 XC will fit the bill nicely. I have heard that it is pretty common to run a 7" front and 6" rear rotor, however the store I am looking at only has the rear in 7" rotors, while the fronts are available in 6", 7", and 8" sizes. Can I buy the 7" rear and a 6" front, and simply swap the rotors? Thoughts?
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikextremist
    You can swap the rotors which ever way you want, however the front and rear mounts are not interchangeable. You will have to buy at 7" front mount.
    And also a 6" rear mount?

Should I just buy a 7" front and 7" rear?

mtbr member
    If you feel like you want the extra power go for it. If you are doing a lot of downhilling an/or a big guy I would say go for 7s front and back. If you are an averaged sized dude just doing regular trail riding, I would say 7x6 should be sufficient. I know my bike does not require a special mount for 6 inch rotors. I am not particularly sure about the Liquid. I will forewarn you that Hayes 9s are not impressive in regard to braking power "they are basically the bottom of the barrel for hydros." I remember price point had a great deal on Avid Juicys awhile back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 6' 2" @ 200lbs. Which Juicys were they, 3.5?

mtbr member
    They were juicy 5s. You probably would benefit from 7x7 rotors for they hayes 9s.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstripes
    I'm 6' 2" @ 200lbs. Which Juicys were they, 3.5?