mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Hayes HFX-9 Question

I'm working on my brakes and have a question about the hose connection to the master cylinder. Currently I have the hose support, hose nut and compression bushing fitting directly into the threaded recess of the master cylinder, however there's no O-ring seal between the compression bushing and the master cylinder recess, just metal on metal - is there supposed to be one? (I know there is one at the caliper hose end)

A Hayes part diagram does not show one, but it is mentioned in a Hayes instruction, just trying to figure out the correct assembly, thanks.

From the Hayes instructions...

"HFX-9, HFX-9 HD Master Cylinder Hose Assembly
    1. Locate the end of hose without the permanent crimp attached.
    2. Cut the hose to the desired length with good scissors or cable cutters. The cut end must be clean and perpendicular to the hose itself.
    3. Slide the HFX-9 nose cone onto the hose Note: The HFX-9 nose cone is the smaller of the two included.
    4. Slide the HFX-9 hose nut and compression bushing over the hose. Always use a new compression bushing.
    Note: The HFX-9 hose nut has external threads and the compression bushing is a gold color.
    5. Push the longer end of the HFX-9 barbed hose insert into end of hose. Be sure it is inserted flush with the end of hose. Always use a new hose insert.
    6. Place the hose insert o-ring over the exposed end of the hose insert.
    7. Slide hose, with hose insert and o-ring, into the HFX-9 master cylinder and install the hose nut. Be sure tha the hose is inserted completel into the master cylinder
    end. Be sure the hose remains inserted while tightening.
    8. Using a 8mm open-end wrench, torque the hose nut to 60 +/- 5 in/lb.
    9. Bleed the system. "

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No o-ring. The compression bushing is soft brass which compresses upon tightening causing a seal.