Florida Rider
    Nov 2011

Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic disc brakes not responsive

Hey everyone, I just picked up my "new" bike 2004 Kona Coiler and when I checked it out the brakes werent gripping at all. I will double check but for right now i got off the internet that they are Hayes HFX-9 Hydraulic Disc brakes. The guy said that they just need to be bled so do yall think this is a good reason to believe that they arent stopping me very well?

Like I said I will go out later today to confirm that I do have Hayes HFX-9 Hydraulic Disc brakes and not a different model but im 100% they are hydraulic.

Thanks, Pat

mtbr member
    Characteristics of a bad bleed are mushy-feeling levers that pull all the way to or almost all the way to the bar. Ideally, those levers should pull through about half of their stroke then firm up and engage the brakes.

If they feel alright and they're still not slowing you down, you could have contaminated pads or some other problem.

I had those same brakes on my 2006 Kona Coiler... I used them for a while, bled them a bunch of times, then got sick of them and bought Hayes Stroker Trails on closeout.

Florida Rider
    Nov 2011
    Ok, they must just need to be bleed then because I can pull them all the way in. I did pull the pads off, scrape them a little with sand paper and cleaned them with brake cleaner so its got to be the fluid in it. I was out at the bike trails just now and everyone agrees its got to be the fliud having air in it. Thanks for the help