mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Hayes HFX 9 bleed plug seal.

Last weekend I was riding and had a small crash. Somehow in the crash I was able to pull the bleed plug almost out of the master cylinder of the lever and rip the seal for the plug.

My question is what is the part number and actual name for the bleed plug seal on the levers called?
    Or is there no parts number and I need to buy a new master cylinder cap?

I can't seem to find any info on it. The Hayes online manual and parts guide is not very helpful. I've looked at a few sites and the best I can find is a master cylinder cap ( http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7475 ).

Thanks in advance.

Barnett Certified
    I'm pretty sure that you just have to buy that whole assembly to get the piece, or have a shop order the diaphragm by itself from a distributor like QBP.

Adobo Lover
    I had to replace mine and that's what I had to buy!
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Universal Cycles has a good on- line selection of Hayes parts.

mtbr member
    With the cost of parts and labor you may want to look into a new brake. HFX's are kinda cheap and IMO dont work well. Like a Juicy 3 or 5. I've been meaning to replace mine for almost a year now.

But I've never had internal issues. My biggest issue is the migrating and having to use a 3mm allen to bring em out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks all.

I was able to find the part at a local bike shop.

I'm supprised how crappy a system they have in this lever for bleeding, where a simple screw like the XC version has would save alot of problems.

I've only had them a few month and this is the first problem i've had. Maybe lucky? who knows, but not ready to give them up yet. Maybe i'll try the stroker or something in the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwind105
    Thanks all.

I was able to find the part at a local bike shop.

I'm supprised how crappy a system they have in this lever for bleeding, where a simple screw like the XC version has would save alot of problems.

I've only had them a few month and this is the first problem i've had. Maybe lucky? who knows, but not ready to give them up yet. Maybe i'll try the stroker or something in the future.
    Yes, it is a crappy seal, but you shouldn't expect components to survive a crash.