[]D [] []v[] []D [] []\[]
    Jun 2004

New question here. Hayes HFX-9 or Avid mech 203mm?

I'm buying some brakes soon for a bullit that i'm building up. and i need some help. I was going to get some of the new Hayes HFX-9 HD because i really want hydro's (off of Jensonusa), but i just looked at a few reviews (http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/di...ct_122104.shtml) and alot of people seem to be having problems with them.

Now i'm a little hesitant about getting these, because everyone seems to be having alot of the same problems. I don't really want to spend more than $100 each, so should i take my chances with these and hope that they won't break on me...or should i get the Avid mechanicals?

what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneP2rider
    I'm buying some brakes soon for a bullit that i'm building up. and i need some help. I was going to get some of the new Hayes HFX-9 HD because i really want hydro's (off of Jensonusa), but i just looked at a few reviews (http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/di...ct_122104.shtml) and alot of people seem to be having problems with them.

Now i'm a little hesitant about getting these, because everyone seems to be having alot of the same problems. I don't really want to spend more than $100 each, so should i take my chances with these and hope that they won't break on me...or should i get the Avid mechanicals?

what do you guys think?
    Well if you don't want to spend more than $100, get the Avid Mechs. When your ready to step up to the plate and get REAL brakes, get the Hope Mono M4's.

I have the Avid's and I'm very happy with them.

Authority is dead!

Avid

Avid hands down! Had 3 sets of hfx9, all of them had big issues. Can't go wrong with 8" Avid.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

Gravity Tester

That's good to know, but....

if I had say, an Ibex Apogee LX, with the Hayes HFX-9 XC, and was having problems with them, is it physically possible to "downgrade" to the Avid mechs?

This is a big question because I'm about to drop some good coin on either the Ibex or a Jamis Dakar Comp.

The Ibex specs out much, much better than the Jamis, and for less dough, but do not like the reports on the Hayes.

Thanks for your response

mtbr member
    I've used both the avid mechanicals (6 inch rotor) and Hayes HFX-9 (both 8 and 6 inch rotor) extensively. There is no way in hell the avid mechs have as much stopping power as the hayes hydraulics. You can't compare the power of mechanicals to hydraulics, it just doesn't make sense as far as leverage goes, especially the attenuation you lose from the lever to the rear caliper with mechanicals. As far as problems: I've never personally had any problems with the Hayes 9, but I've heard alot of horror stories with them, and I've only heard good things about the avid mechanicals. But, mechanicals are usually going to be less of a worry than hydraulics because you don't have to worry about leakage and re-bleeding and all that fun stuff.

Gravity Tester

Good to hear,

that is making the decision easier. Looks like I'll be buying a mail order bike soon. The Raleigh hardtail was OK in TX, but there's too many darn rocks here!
    I'm from the Government. I'm here to help, really.

2004 North American Kettlebell Federation National Champion

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prechrysler
    I've used both the avid mechanicals (6 inch rotor) and Hayes HFX-9 (both 8 and 6 inch rotor) extensively. There is no way in hell the avid mechs have as much stopping power as the hayes hydraulics. You can't compare the power of mechanicals to hydraulics, it just doesn't make sense as far as leverage goes, especially the attenuation you lose from the lever to the rear caliper with mechanicals. As far as problems: I've never personally had any problems with the Hayes 9, but I've heard alot of horror stories with them, and I've only heard good things about the avid mechanicals. But, mechanicals are usually going to be less of a worry than hydraulics because you don't have to worry about leakage and re-bleeding and all that fun stuff.
    Avids are every bit as powerful as the Hayes and then some. Just because the leverage doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean squat. This isn't "I can't see the fire, therefore there is no fire" day.

mtbr member

To each their own.

Fine, science aside. The following is a true statement: I have personally experienced more stopping power on hayes nines than I have on avid mechanics, and I have a fairly large frame of reference having had both brakes. I did not imagine this. I am not delusional.

Roy
    mtbr member

That is a data point of 1

Fine, science aside. The following is a true statement: I have personally experienced more stopping power on hayes nines than I have on avid mechanics, and I have a fairly large frame of reference having had both brakes. I did not imagine this. I am not delusional.
    Do some searches and you'll find a lot of people have found Avids to have more power than Hayes. There have been some independent mag tests from across the pond that echo this as well. I don't dispute your experience but I also don't extrapolate it as definitive truth since numerous others have had the opposite experience.

Amphibious Technologies

AVID Mech by far!!!

Avids definite have as much stopping power and better modulation when set-up correctly. The trick is to have the inboard pad as close to the rotor as possible. You also should true your rotor to get the most out of disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Do some searches and you'll find a lot of people have found Avids to have more power than Hayes. There have been some independent mag tests from across the pond that echo this as well. I don't dispute your experience but I also don't extrapolate it as definitive truth since numerous others have had the opposite experience.
    I agree with you. It is just that the difference that I felt between the two was significant. As people tend to be; I guess I'm just close-minded to the possiblity that perhaps my experiences don't hold the overall truth. I just really feel that avid mechs are overrated. I ride them everyday, as they came stock on my Cannondale Chase. I really don't feel the stopping power that everyone claims is so great. Yes they are true. Yes the pads are as close to the rotors as they can possibly be without scraping while riding. I've ridden avid mechs on alot of store bikes as well. I understand that is not a very good source as most of those brakes aren't worn in. Still, I did not feel the stopping power that everyone claims is so great. Perhaps it is my larger size. Perhaps it is one of innumerable variables. In the face of the majority I still don't believe that avid mechs are all that great in comparison with hydraulic brakes. Even the so-called 'crappy hydraulic brakes'.

Amphibious Technologies

Some tips:

I was going to add that one should thoroughly clean their rotors with alcohol regularly. Any kind of oil or grease, including finger grease, on them will take away lots of stopping power. I would, however, not clean them right before a ride because this will cause your brake to sqeal. Clean it the night before a ride. I always notice a big difference in stopping power after the rotors are cleaned.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Yes they are true. Yes the pads are as close to the rotors as they can possibly be without scraping while riding. I've ridden avid mechs on alot of store bikes as well. I understand that is not a very good source as most of those brakes aren't worn in. Still, I did not feel the stopping power that everyone claims is so great. Perhaps it is my larger size. Perhaps it is one of innumerable variables. In the face of the majority I still don't believe that avid mechs are all that great in comparison with hydraulic brakes. Even the so-called 'crappy hydraulic brakes'.
    A couple of thoughts - you mention the pads (plural) are as close to the rotors as they can possibly be: what's important here is *only* the inside pad is as close to the rotors as possible. This is probably what you meant but I thought I'd mention it.

Second, what used to get mentioned frequently but now is often neglected is the levers. Lever choice for the Avids has a definite impact. The speed dials are great because you can crank up the power. I prefer Shimano levers which aren't as convenient as the speed dial but still allow me to crank the power on the front brake and back off the rear (since it locks up so easily).

That being said, there are definitely those who have had less than stellar experiences with the Avids. I don't think Avids are better than hydros and I don't think hydros are better than Avids. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses and it's a preference issue, imo.

Amphibious Technologies

One more tip

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    A couple of thoughts - you mention the pads (plural) are as close to the rotors as they can possibly be: what's important here is *only* the inside pad is as close to the rotors as possible. This is probably what you meant but I thought I'd mention it.

Second, what used to get mentioned frequently but now is often neglected is the levers. Lever choice for the Avids has a definite impact. The speed dials are great because you can crank up the power. I prefer Shimano levers which aren't as convenient as the speed dial but still allow me to crank the power on the front brake and back off the rear (since it locks up so easily).

That being said, there are definitely those who have had less than stellar experiences with the Avids. I don't think Avids are better than hydros and I don't think hydros are better than Avids. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses and it's a preference issue, imo.
    I Agree with with your first and second throughts, maybe even your third!

I just wantd to add that the cable housing choice also makes a difference. Using Avid Flak Jackets or something similar gives you a better feel and better power transfer. I tried Shimano cables, they gave a mushy feel to the lever resulting in a decrease in braking power.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Roy]A couple of thoughts - you mention the pads (plural) are as close to the rotors as they can possibly be: what's important here is *only* the inside pad is as close to the rotors as possible. This is probably what you meant but I thought I'd mention it.
    [QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I'll mess around with it after what is going to be yet another very long and very boring day at work.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. I'll mess around with it after what is going to be yet another very long and very boring day at work.
    The longer the lever through, the more power. ie. as the lever gets closer to the bar, the more power you have.

"El Whatever"

If you really want to experiment...

And have a $20 bucks bill laying around, buy a pair of Shimano Deore levers and match them with your Avids.... You'll feel the diference. The lever is more responsive and the leverage is far better than Avids.

I even made some CAD drawings and yes... the Deore levers pull more cable per rotation angle than Avids at its most. I like them a lot and it's action is oh so smooth. I like its firm feel.
    Check my Site

meh....
    I've used both the avid mechanicals (6 inch rotor) and Hayes HFX-9 (both 8 and 6 inch rotor) extensively.
    If I were you I wouldn't say too much about the Avid Mechanicals until you've ridden a set of 8". Especially if you're comparing them to the 8" Hayes.

There is no way in hell the avid mechs have as much stopping power as the hayes hydraulics.
    Yes, there is. I've owned 6" Louise, 8" Enduro's, 8" XT's, and now 8" Avid Mechs. The Avids take them all hands down. Only the Enduro's might have had more power, but I could not get them to be quiet, so I sold them.

Monte

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    Especially if you're comparing them to the 8" Hayes.
    I wasn't comparing 6'' Avids to 8'' Hayes. Anyways, when the opportunity presents itself I'll try out the 8'' rotors, and then draw my conclusion from there.

Roy
    mtbr member
    I wasn't comparing 6'' Avids to 8'' Hayes. Anyways, when the opportunity presents itself I'll try out the 8'' rotors, and then draw my conclusion from there.
    Let us know what you find out.