Thread: Hayes HFX 9

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Hayes HFX 9

I went to my LBS to order my Hayes HFX 9XC and they advise me to get avid mech instead. Cheaper and better. They got both in stock. Should I take their word. (some lever leaking problem)
    I've never use disc before and would want a fix and forget disc system.

Rather Die Ridin'
    Apr 2004

don't understand their motivation

Opti,
    I don't know why your LBS would tell you to go with mechanicals over hydraulics other than price. Did you say you wanted to watch your $$$ when you initially talked to them?

Avid mechanicals would be nice if you are interested in the lower price, not wanting to deal with the fluid and are more comfortable with cable systems. The avid mechanicals I have are on my cross bike and they do need very little work. They feel a bit more "spongy" than my Hayes HFX 9s on my mtb. That is probably due to the cable stretching. Some people argue that hydraulics suck b/c of the "leak" that occurs. I have not had one iota of a problem with leak. Others argue that you would not be able to do any repairs in the back country if you hydros fail. (i.e. lose their oil) Fair enough, but again, I have yet to have that problem. The benefit for hydros is that they are self-adjusting. No need to tweak the system when the pads wear down and the stopping power is precise and strong.

If you want exquisite braking, pony up the $$$ for the Hayes.

Not sure what to type?

No problems here...

I'm running Hayes HFX-9's on my Heckler. It was spec'd with Avid mechanicals but I had them install Hayes instead. I wanted that smooth hydraulic feeling. Been riding through lots of mud and gunk with not problems what so ever. I also have 2 freindsthat have been running Hayes Hydraulic brakes for years and they've never had any problems with leakage and have never had a failure. Like was said before, with hydraulic you get no cable stretch, you don't have to worry about getting dirt in your cable and then having to replace them, and hydraulics are self-adjusting. I think you will be very happy with the Hayes. Go for it!!!
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The cost of the Avid Mech with new cable and SD7 cost the same as the HFX 9 set. So cost is not the issue here.