mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hayes help pls - caliper rebuild info needed

my buddy scored a great deal on a used bike which had been sitting around in a garage for several years. It is set up with Hayes brakes. The front brake works perfectly, but the rear brake drags heavily. The outside pad does not seem to retract properly (the brakes do not need to be bled).

From what I've read, it looks like the caliper needs to be rebuilt, or perhaps the pistons simply need to be cleaned. Can anybody give me more specific information on how to clean the pistons, or rebuild the caliper if need be. With the wheel removed, the outside caliper does not move when I pull the brake lever. Then inside caliper does move in, and I tried holding in place with a box wrench while pulling the lever, but couldn't figure out a way to hold it in place that didn't seem like it would damage the caliper. I assume that if more pressure was put on the inside piston, the outside would move - is this the case? If so, any advice on how to get the outside piston 'pumped out' so I can clean it?

While I'm at it, can anybody tell me exactly which brakes I've got here?

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

rebuilding

is quite simple actually. there's not much happening in the caliper assembly. just unscrew the two halves to take them apart. you do need compressed air to pop the piston out of the caliper though. once you've popped it out, just lube it up a bit and replace. that's it.

if you are just going to buy new pistons, then use a pair of pliers to pull the old ones out if you don't have an air compressor. you could probably use CO2 but i"ve never tried that.

YR