Anal Fissure

Hayes El Camino vs. Stroker Ryde....

I'm gonna upgrade the brakes on bike #4...my Cove Stiffee (currently have awful Hopes) but I don't wanna break the bank on a bike I rarely ride. I can get either the El Camino or Stroker Rydes for dirt cheap. I use this for XC/Trail only...no DH or extreme stuff...so I'm sure either would be fine, but I've also read iffy reviews on both that makes me wonder which way to jump. I could also go with the similarly priced Avid Juicy 3.5's, but the Hayes seem much beefier.

Thoughts?!!

BeeT's

Anal Fissure
    ...I know there are some boring football games on, but really...not a single opinion?!!

BeeT's

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would probably just go for the Juicy 3.5s'. I had the Hayes Stroker Ryde's on my Trance X1 and didn't like them at all,they felt too grabby at low power and didn't have true high powered stopping ability. I ended up going with Avid Code R's,a great brake with excellent power and modulation.

I've used the Juicy 3's twice,although I replaced them as well on both occaisions. I had them on my XTC 29er 1 and felt that they were weak and replaced them with Avid Code 5's. However I did use them on a Gary Fisher Hifi Plus and they weren't too bad,the rotor size was also larger but I think Avid also made a product running change that improved the Juicy 3's for 2010. However I ended up going with Shimano Saint's on that bike.

The Juicy 3.5's will probably stop as well as the Stroker Rydes and it will probably have far better modulation.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Don't get El Camino

I called Hayes to get some advice on bleeding El Camino and employee said get better brakes. Really, hit up E-bay and be patient. Patience got me XT 775 front and rear new for $220. Very lucky.

mtbr member
    Sorry I missed your post 'till now, just hope you didn't spring for the El Camino's. They're absolute crap. I had them for 3 years, bought 'em when they first came out thinking since they were the top of the line Hayes stuff at the time they should be good. Terrible brake system. Really bad heat dissipation problems, they would completely fade on me on every long descent. And they had a really annoying habit of the lever throw adjusting screws backing out any time the trail got a little rough, something even loctite couldn't completely solve. And they were noisy as hell when it got wet. After looking into it further, these were all common issues among EC owners. Awful brakes.