Thread: Hayes El Camino

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Hayes El Camino

anybody got em yet???

mtbr member
    I think that changeable modulation is good but how would hayes realise it???
    I'D like 2 buy it but with 8"rotors
    1. RUSSIA!!!
    2. NEW TRICK:
    NO CHILDREN TO STERILIZATOR

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Got'em on my Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by hammerbone
    anybody got em yet???
    Yeti started speccing el caminos on their pro kits. I got em on my new 575. Must say I'm more than pleased--very light, very powerful, superb modulation, great adjustability, no squeaking, so far maintenance-free.

mtbr remember
    Yeti started speccing el caminos on their pro kits. I got em on my new 575. Must say I'm more than pleased--very light, very powerful, superb modulation, great adjustability, no squeaking, so far maintenance-free.
    nice, you have the 8 or 6"?? Also, have you ridden the last generation Hayes, and how do they compare, both feel/power, and we all know they are much more adj. How about to other brakes? Do the levers feel the same as the old hayes, and do they bounce around and have play in them as much as the old hayes?? Please fill me in, I wanna hear more.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

A little more info . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    nice, you have the 8 or 6"?? Also, have you ridden the last generation Hayes, and how do they compare, both feel/power, and we all know they are much more adj. How about to other brakes? Do the levers feel the same as the old hayes, and do they bounce around and have play in them as much as the old hayes?? Please fill me in, I wanna hear more.
    Mine are 6". I'm a cross-country/trail rider, so I don't need anything that hefty. My last bike had v-brakes, so I don't have a lot of experience to make comparisons, just a bunch of test rides and a couple demo days (Fruita and the Colorado front range). What I can say is that these brakes easily outperform the brakes I've had the longest rides on (XT and a Hayes, but I think it was a lower level product).

I love the feel of the levers. I haven't noticed any play. I have fairly large hands with a long reach, so I've got the levers adjusted pretty far out. They engage smothly, exactly when and how much I want them to. I can do anything I want with one finger.

As an avid skier, I always mourn the loss of winter and the coming of spring, but this year is different. I can't wait to get this bike (and it's brakes) into the high country for some real epic rides so I can see how they perform under more strenuous conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

We have them now

We finally got them in at The Path bike shop 714-669-0784.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just snagged what I think are the last 5 sets in the country from one of my distributers today.....and 3 are already sold....before I received them ........wow

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think a pair went on ebay for dirt cheap, something like $285 for front and rear. I'm probably mistaken since that's about 50% of msrp. It was probably $385... there are 2 pair on ebay right now for $400-ish.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

What kind of $$$ are you guys finding so far?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    For those that have these, do they seem to get rid of the terrible rubbing found on most disc brakes? For most brands/models, no matter how intricately you adjust them, the pads rub on the rotors...

mtbr remember
    For most brands/models, no matter how intricately you adjust them, the pads rub on the rotors...
    It's all related to correct setup and installation. But, yes some are definetly worse than others. In most cases, just "business carding" your calipers will solve this problem, either that or use the correct shims after your disc tabs have been faced. If that doesnt' work you might have to true your rotor, and in the case of Avid Mechs, just get used to the rubbing if you like to run the pads close to the rotor.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH
    For those that have these, do they seem to get rid of the terrible rubbing found on most disc brakes? For most brands/models, no matter how intricately you adjust them, the pads rub on the rotors...

they amount of energy taken by minor rubbing is infinitely small. I really don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Would you drive your car care-free if your brakes were rubbing all the time? In either case, it is just a bad thing that should be avoided....The world won't end if they rub, but it still sucks...

mtbr member
    Would you drive your car care-free if your brakes were rubbing all the time?
    Actually, on cars they do.

"El Whatever"
    Would you drive your car care-free if your brakes were rubbing all the time? In either case, it is just a bad thing that should be avoided....The world won't end if they rub, but it still sucks...
    No biggie. Rubbing is an issue with vees but with discs I just find it like a nuissance.
    Don't worry about.

We got used to the fact that rubbing was bad on vees, but one of the nicest things on discs is that they just don't care about rubbing a little.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You're kidding about the V-brake rubbing right? Unless your wheel was incredibly out of true.....there was NO rubbing...