Thread: Hayes El Camino

Knollician

New question here. Hayes El Camino

For those of you who have not seen the new website, it is www.hayesdiscbrake.com/elcamino

These things look sweet, does anyone have any preliminary pricing info on these? I would love a set to replace my Hope Mini's.

Thanks
    TiSS'er

11 is one louder than 10

Yup, I'll be getting some, just wish they had a 7 inch rotor

Just wish they were offering a 180mm rotor also. Would love to go 6 rear, 7 front. Guess I can play with adapters. But overall, they look sweet. Assuming the usual Hayes reliability, I'll fire some up.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

bike moron
    Anyone have any insight on what these are intended for? Replacement for something, an additional product, are they more FR/DH, trying to match Juicy 7 features, something else? I see the features...but I'm not really picking up on what the real advantage/purpose is.

"El Whatever"

Sweet...

They look sweet. Rotors look suspiciously similar to avid's clean sweeps. Is it just me or the pads are going to be different... not like a good idea IMO.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No System Weight published - Bummer.
    Looks nice, more user friendly & easier to tune/adjust the lever/feel.
    Should be nice overall package...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    For those of you who have not seen the new website, it is www.hayesdiscbrake.com/elcamino

These things look sweet, does anyone have any preliminary pricing info on these? I would love a set to replace my Hope Mini's.

Thanks
    TiSS'er

Looks like they are going a little bit after the Juicy's, and a bit more into the DH market at the same time (more fluid for extended descents). I think Hayes had to come out with something as they had been at the top for so long, a few others managed to catch up/pass. Now with great systems available, they are attempting to raise the bar a bit.

TJ

shut up and pedal
    Jan 2004

Looking at new stoppers

Great timing, my 5 year old champagne color calipers have served me well. It's time for an upgrade. Will they stay with the DOT 3 fluid? All that crap about how it hurts the environment, eats paint, causes cancer ect. is a little over the top. Exactly what is mineral oil anyway?

Tonight we ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er

Thanks
    TiSS'er
    Looks like they had a Hope Mono caliper and an Avid Juicy lever in front of them when they designed 'em. Forged caliper to be fair though.

I'm still planning to get a set of Mono Minis in the coming weeks, but I'm very curious as to the weight and price. There's a big as for them in the new issue of Bike as well.

"El Camino"...ugh. Worst brake name yet? And I though "Juicy" was bad...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridethebike
    Will they stay with the DOT 3 fluid? All that crap about how it hurts the environment, eats paint, causes cancer ect. is a little over the top. Exactly what is mineral oil anyway?
    Considering pretty much the ENTIRE automotive industry uses DOT 3 fluid I do not think the small amount of fluid bikes are using are a good reason to switch.

The website does not really talk at all about the fluids, I am sure there will be more information by the time interbike rolls along.

TJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fonseca

"El Camino"...ugh. Worst brake name yet? And I though "Juicy" was bad...
    I cant wait until they bring out the "pinto"

mtbr member
    Great timing, my 5 year old champagne color calipers have served me well. It's time for an upgrade. Will they stay with the DOT 3 fluid? All that crap about how it hurts the environment, eats paint, causes cancer ect. is a little over the top. Exactly what is mineral oil anyway?
    I can't imagine hayes using anything other than DOT 3/4/5.1, they make brakes for cars, motorbikes and heavy machinery, that's what works best. Shimano and Magura are the only companies producing baby oil brakes, the inability of mineral oil to absorb water results in brakes that fade at 100C when moisture enters the system.

The closest relation to DOT fluid is anti-freeze.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I cant wait until they bring out the "pinto"
    I hear they are coming out with the Pacer for endurance racers, and the Gremlin for those who like to work on their bikes a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I hear they are coming out with the Pacer for endurance racers, and the Gremlin for those who like to work on their bikes a lot.
    OOOO, we forgot about the stainless steel version labelled the Delorean. Evidently they seize up at full power in cold weather.....

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    OOOO, we forgot about the stainless steel version labelled the Delorean. Evidently they seize up at full power in cold weather.....
    It should be the same marketing guy naming the Ventana bikes.... this guy should be fired...NOW.

BTW... Manitou started it with "Dorado". Maybe it was the same jerk.
    Check my Site

Gravity Rides Everything

mineral oil is NOT a brake fluid. deal with it hippies.

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by windidiot
    Anyone have any insight on what these are intended for? Replacement for something, an additional product, are they more FR/DH, trying to match Juicy 7 features, something else? I see the features...but I'm not really picking up on what the real advantage/purpose is.
    theyre being stocked on the top xc 2005 norcos, so im assuming its for xc use.. it all looks pretty light, and i want to know what they weigh in at

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by full_xtr_racer
    theyre being stocked on the top xc 2005 norcos, so im assuming its for xc use.. it all looks pretty light, and i want to know what they weigh in at
    I saw them on the 2005 Kona Stinky supreme Freeride bike. sooooo they might be "All-around" brakes...

Uhhhhh...
    There also coming OEM on the Iron Horse DH bikes.com

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

is this thing on?
    didn't Norco stop making XC bikes. no wait I remember, they just stoped making good ones in 2001. those sexy Ti and Reynolds 853 cromoly HT's are a thing of the past.

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto
    didn't Norco stop making XC bikes. no wait I remember, they just stoped making good ones in 2001. those sexy Ti and Reynolds 853 cromoly HT's are a thing of the past.
    ya.. i hate their 02-04 xc bikes, but i know someone who works for them, and ive got a copy of their 05 catologue, and stock, their top dualie is about 23lbs (i found most of the stuff on weight weenies, and had to guess a bit, but it wont be too far off) and thats with a skerab plat, not a sid and the el camino discs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by windidiot
    I don't know about specific target audiences or hug differences in performance, however I can see just from the pictures that they are addressing problems that the HFX-9 had. The HFX 9 HD were notorious for allowing the levers to migrate back toward the handlebars via the allen head all screw used to adjust lever reach. During a ride I normally readjusted mine 2-3 times a ride before "fixing" them. If you attempted to lock tite the screw and got even a tiny bit on the pivot, the lever would not snap back. Even is you did apply it correctly, they eventually start migrating again. Teflon tape works, but is a ***** to get on that screw. You can also score the threads with a pair of wire cutters, but were left with no way of adjusting leaver reach very easily afterwards. If the tool-less lever adjustment eliminates lever migration, then that will be an improvement. Maybe the levers will still migrate, but now you can readjust during a ride (devils advocate speaking).

As far as the rotating banjo, that is the improvement over the "fabulous" G2 calipers that had a static hose mount. With some bikes, routing the hose using the G2 would automatically mean a wicked S bend in the Hayes hydro hose (Yeti AS-X is an example). With the rotating banjo, this allows for ease of hose routing.

They should come out with a better hose that doesn't crack to quickly.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Help a disc brake noob out here.

We bought a barely used 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Expert for my wife that has Shimano Deores that always seem to rub. I will be upgrading to discs on my 2004 FSR Comp sometime over the next few months, and was considering the Avid Juicys because it sounds like they are easy to adjust, especially WRT the calipers- from what I understand, they don't have the finicky (and for us so far, ineffective) shim system like the Shimanos.

So my questions:
    1. Is disc drag just something you have to put up with on all disc brakes?
    2. If not, which brakesets are easiest to set up and more importantly, which ones STAY adjusted so they don't drag? (I'll bet some operative words are "properly set up".)
    3. How do these new Hayes El Camino brakes deal with the issue of adjusting so they don't drag? Is adjustment as easy as the Juicys alledgedly are?

Thanks, I am in learning mode. This board is great for that.