mtbr member

Hayes dyno sport brakes issues

I bought a 2013 Trek Mamba and I hate the mushy brakes, the front especially. I use my bike for all mtn. I've bled them and did the, Hayes recommended, lever pull adjustment. Still soft as your grandpa... I stored it upside down in the garage, went to ride the next day and had "no" front brake pressure. LBS said not to store it upside down, air gets to the piston...really!?
    Bottom line? My 2006 rim brakes were 10x more useful than these. I love the rest of my bike, but had no choice in brakes when I bought. I wonder why the industry went to unreliable hyd brakes when mech and rims were just fine? It shouldn't be too much to ask, when spending 1000 dollars, to have your brakes work..... Is replacing them my only option, or can I pair better lever/reservoir/master cylinders with them? Verrrrry frustrated

mtbr member
    Update: I've ridden a couple of times since, and they are starting to grow on me. I think I expected the immediate on and off again power of rims, but the amount of control these have is very nice. Yes they are soft an a little weak, but I can really grab them on a downhill with out losing traction, and a strong even pull of both slows me down in a hurry. I believe the idea is like anti-lock brakes in a car. If the tire never loses traction, you can brake in a controlled manner.
    BLUF, the brakes are working for me but I will be upgrading in the future. The inability to adjust lever throw is unforgivable IMO.