mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! hayes comp: super weak lever connection

i run a guide business out of nevada city, ca.
    working at molokai ranch, hawaii putting in trails and maintaining a fleet of 200 bikes plus. what i ended up in my stable for guests, and myself in california, were some diehard hayes mag brakes- which i love- but the master cyl. levers are a horrendous weak point. they either break from the "composite" body, or the push rod to lever disconnects from cylinder, leaving the lever hanging. what a waste.
    problem is i have too many to just move all bikes from that system/model. i have addressed this to hayes as a definate R&D in the consumer field, and felt some resolution could be made. but no luck.
    i will not buy anymore master cylinders for switchouts as it is also a waste of money and time.
    what is the move that would take me from this endless hole? should i stay with hayes?
    ideas appreciated.

Meh.
    The Comps were OE brakes. If you wanted to go to hydro at a price point, they're great.

Otherwise, not fantastic.

The HFX-9s are very on/off (little modulation) and problematic, especially if they're going to see constant use like in a rental fleet.

When I had them, my Mags provided me with consitently good performance.

The El Caminos are terrible.

Shimano makes some real great stuff. And they use Mineral Oil rather than DOT fluid. So they may require less upkeep in the fleet.

mtbr member
    ah, that is partially why i see so few comps. wish there was a cheap way to go with new master cyl./ lever replacements. the mag calipers are great indeed. and to hold onto them for their remaining life would be ideal.
    Hayes really did miss the boat on the el caminos.
    thanks for the info and advice!

Meh.
    The calipers are the same between all their brakes. The Comps have the G1 caliper if I remember correctly. Lots of people still have the G1 calipers with no issues.

You can upgrade the master cylinder/lever body. At retail, expect to pay about 70 to 80 per brake. If you can purchase things at cost or have a distributor, you may be able to do it for significantly cheaper.

mtbr member
    yea, the G1 calipers really do the job. and with stock hayes pads, the wear is very even and trouble free; they put up with varying conditions so well. set and forget. i'll consider the costs and if hayes reads this maybe they might extend??? we'll see. again, i feel the consumer has done their share of testing for them. i certainly have, my god.

mtbr member
    oh yea, one more thing, at 70 to 80 a brake lever retail, i then would just go the whole package route: knowing i can buy a full brake set at 160. i am leary of the nines and would probably go with the mags HD.
    if other suggestions for going to a new proven system are out there let me know folks. it is the matter of putting my bucks into another brand because of the trouble/ R&D hayes pushed on me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Make sure you run the handlebar clamp loose enough that the whole brake lever/master cylinder/body can rotate with firm pressure. That way the brake rotates in a crash instead of snapping the lever out of the body.

prawny
    a truism indeed for all levers.
    i had only one break from the composite body. the weak point is certainly the circlipped "ball-rod" from the lever that takes so little effort to disconnect it from the m cylinder. a perpetual wrapping of duct tape is ultimately used to keep it all together. and this, of course, prevents exact and full release of the brake to its resting position. but you gotta do what keeps it working- the bike rolling.

mtbr member
    Bingo!
    Alpa foxtrot tango.
    that's the shnizzle weakness/problem.