Bike to the Bone...

Hayes caliper alignment

I have the Hayes HFX 9 disc. I noticed today that the caliper on my back brake is out of alignment, I think. What happens is, when I press the brake level, one of the pads push first the disc, so it bends the disc to the other pad. On my front disc I don't have this problem. Does this require a visit to the LBS, or can I do it myself?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I have the Hayes HFX 9 disc. I noticed today that the caliper on my back brake is out of alignment, I think. What happens is, when I press the brake level, one of the pads push first the disc, so it bends the disc to the other pad. On my front disc I don't have this problem. Does this require a visit to the LBS, or can I do it myself?

Thanks
    Go to the Hayes website and download the manual. It will tell you how to center the brake caliper. Basically, you loosen the two bolts holding the caliper to the mount so the caliper will just move (i.e., not too loose), squeeze the brake lever and hold, then carefully tighten the mounting bolts. I would recommend getting the manual.

However, if your pads aren't rubbing the rotor, I would leave things alone. The system isn't perfect because often one piston will move a little more than the other.

Bike to the Bone...

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot Mike!

I got the manual and adjusted it myself, and it worked pretty good

I was going to take it to my lbs and thought that the mechanic deserved to work at NASA or something because of his knowledge...jejejejjeej

Well, it actually felt pretty good to do it myself. I'm going for a mechanical traing on sunday, hope I learn one or two things beside changing wheels (and now adjusting misaligned calipers)

Have a great day, tommorrow I'm going to test my bike with the adjustments, I'll tell you how it went.

Bye