Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,531

    Hayes' brakes win another shootout....

    In a British Mountain Bike magazine for low cost disc brakes. It seems Hayes wins every disc brake shootout I have ever read. I love my Hayes.

    Jaybo

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jesterrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    623

    What pads do you run??

    What pads do you run on them? I tried the semi-metallic and seemed to wear through it quickly. I then moved over to Hayes sintered metallic and they last longer, but on long descents they heat up quite a bit and can actually cause me to have to stop from time to time. I wish I had 8" rotor on the front as I weigh 195.

    Anyway, what's your favorite pad???

  3. #3
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Who were the contenders??? And well, not to offend but you might not had read shootouts about mechanical disc brakes where Avid wins hands down with Hayes following a long way behind (and then the rest of the pack).

    Were the Juicy's or Hopes on the shootout??

    Anybody had read a review on the Akebono brakes on the Honda RN-01?? Any links??
    Check my Site

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    What pads do you run on them? I tried the semi-metallic and seemed to wear through it quickly. I then moved over to Hayes sintered metallic and they last longer, but on long descents they heat up quite a bit and can actually cause me to have to stop from time to time. I wish I had 8" rotor on the front as I weigh 195.

    Anyway, what's your favorite pad???
    You weigh 195, you need 8" rotors, they'll make a huge difference.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jesterrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    623
    I've thought that - can I convert my existing Hayes to 8"??

    If so, I just need an adapter and a new rotor I would assume?? Thanks!

  6. #6
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Yup.

    But you just can't do that with a Fox fork without avoiding the warranty.
    Check my Site

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jesterrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    623
    Why would that be?

  8. #8
    Old Fart at Play
    Reputation: Titus Maximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    Why would that be?
    Fox has a limit of 185mm (7") rotors for their forks. The larger the rotor, the greater the leverage on the fork mounts and, more importantly the hub - dropout interface (keep that quick-release tight!). Fox must feel that 185mm is a safe limit.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jesterrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    623
    That's right - Hayes does not make a 180 or 185mm. I was confusing 8" with 180mm. My bad, I'm not really looking for a 200mm rotor. I wish they made a 180...

  10. #10
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    One turnaround should be to use an Avid 185mm rotor with its correspondent adapter. Avid and Hayes calipers are designed to be installed direclty to 74mm post mount (as found on Manitous). So it may be done. On some threads I've read that Avid recommends some Hayes adaptors for adaptors they don't sell. But I guess it can work the other way.
    Check my Site

  11. #11
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,531

    I run Hayes sintered and no the Juicy was not in the shootout...

    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Who were the contenders??? And well, not to offend but you might not had read shootouts about mechanical disc brakes where Avid wins hands down with Hayes following a long way behind (and then the rest of the pack).

    Were the Juicy's or Hopes on the shootout??

    Anybody had read a review on the Akebono brakes on the Honda RN-01?? Any links??
    To answer both of you guy's questions. This was a budget shootout. I do think Avid makes the best mechanical's on the market, and possibly the best hydraulic's. Excellent brake company. I have thought about the Avid Juicy but my Hayes work so well I'm not sure I can justify the dough.

    I have never used anything but Hayes metallic on my bike. They just last better and have more bite--which I like. However, I would be interested in the softer and better modulating semi metallic for summer riding.

    Jaybo

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,088

    Well, all I can say to that Jaybo, is you are making that...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    In a British Mountain Bike magazine for low cost disc brakes. It seems Hayes wins every disc brake shootout I have ever read. I love my Hayes.

    Jaybo
    ...remark on an mtbr board, which, need I remind you, was started with the idea of giving mt bike riders a chance to read unbiased reviews, and chat with customers about their experieces with certain products and rides.

    In other words, an objective totally opposite of hyped up magazine ads,...er, reviews.

    Did you ever really try the Martas after you got the guys at Magura to resolve the problem, or are you just nit picking out of some hassle that appeared to be largely caused by the mail order shop you were frequenting?

    The fact is, most of the brakes out there receive both good and bad reviews, and quite a lot of the bad are in need of a reality check regaurding proper set up, use, maintanence, or just following the CS end of things diligently when need be.

    From what I recall, you said you hadn't bothered to put the Martas back on, because you were getting used to the Hayes, and liking them, during the waiting period.

    Seems to me, you wouldn't have bought the Martas in the first place, if you were so in love with the Hayes.

    Regaurding the "review" you're speaking of, the word "win" is as subjective as the dollar amount received by the reviewer, in advertisement fees.

    As often as you've changed frames, you have appeared to be the type to many that disowns a product, if it so much as gives a hint of something you dissaprove of.

    After remarks such as this though, esp without giving the Maguras a fair chance after you got them back, it would appear you are clinging to the hype in making your decisions, and in doing so, your equipment becomes more of a status symbol, based on other's acceptance, rather than performance merits.
    Last edited by Gnarlygig; 06-19-2004 at 07:23 PM.

  13. #13
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlygig
    ...remark on an mtbr board, which, need I remind you, was started with the idea of giving mt bike riders a chance to read unbiased reviews, and chat with customers about their experieces with certain products and rides.

    In other words, an objective totally opposite of hyped up magazine ads,...er, reviews.

    Did you ever really try the Martas after you got the guys at Magura to resolve the problem, or are you just nit picking out of some hassle that appeared to be largely caused by the mail order shop you were frequenting?

    The fact is, most of the brakes out there receive both good and bad reviews, and quite a lot of the bad are in need of a reality check regaurding proper set up, use, maintanence, or just following the CS end of things diligently when need be.

    From what I recall, you said you hadn't bothered to put the Martas back on, because you were getting used to the Hayes, and liking them, during the waiting period.

    Seems to me, you wouldn't have bought the Martas in the first place, if you were so in love with the Hayes.

    Regaurding the "review" you're speaking of, the word "win" is as subjective as the dollar amount received by the reviewer, in advertisement fees.

    As often as you've changed frames, you have appeared to be the type to many that disowns a product, if it so much as gives a hint of something you dissaprove of.

    After remarks such as this though, esp without giving the Maguras a fair chance after you got them back, it would appear you are clinging to the hype in making your decisions, and in doing so, your equipment becomes more of a status symbol, based on other's acceptance, rather than performance merits.
    Oh, brother, I can't believe you turned this into a Marta thread. Laugh. I'm sure people enjoy their Marta brakes. I hate mine...even after they were fixed. I would buy Hayes over Magura any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm sure some people loved them. I just didn't.

    Jaybo

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,088

    Even after they were fixed? Who are you trying to kid,...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Oh, brother, I can't believe you turned this into a Marta thread. Laugh. I'm sure people enjoy their Marta brakes. I hate mine...even after they were fixed. I would buy Hayes over Magura any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm sure some people loved them. I just didn't.

    Jaybo
    ...you didn't even RIDE them after they were fixed, and if you're so sold on your Hayes, why do you have to mentally masturbate by reassuring yourself with such ridiculous threads?

    How is it possible to hate something you never even tried after it had been fixed properly?
    Last edited by Gnarlygig; 06-19-2004 at 08:46 PM.

  15. #15
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,531

    Why do I respond to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlygig
    ...you didn't even RIDE them after they were fixed, and if you're so sold on your Hayes, why do you have to mentally masturbate by reassuring yourself with such ridiculous threads?

    How is it possible to hate something you never even tried after it had been fixed properly?
    I did, and I have ridden them when they worked fine. I don't like them as well as Hayes. I know that ticks you off; what do you want me to say? Besides, why do you give a crap what I think of your brakes? Hmmm.

    Jaybo

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,088

    Let's just say I give a crap about the potential for your...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I did, and I have ridden them when they worked fine. I don't like them as well as Hayes. I know that ticks you off; what do you want me to say? Besides, why do you give a crap what I think of your brakes? Hmmm.

    Jaybo
    ...magazine a$$ kissing review thread potentially wrongly influencing those undecided. If you can't handle hearing coments like mine, maybe you should think about that instead of trying to loft Hayes onto some pedestal far above other brakes with your ridiculous threads, as if you've won some sort of contest just by reading the hyped up reviews.

    Also, your saying now that you tried the Martas after they were sent back to you is contracdictory to what you'd originally said, and I'm not inclined to believe it, given your incredulous remarks elsewhere.

    We'll no doubt see threads soon from you selling the 5 Spot as well, over some conjured up nit picking there too.

    All I'm saying is Jaybo, if I'm going to see mag ad/review based posts keep popping up touting a certain product as the best, when I know perfecty well it's not true, I'm going to set the record strait, on what the poster's perspective seems to be.

    Now if YOU want to give your opinion on a particular product, that's what mtbr is based on, NOT hyping up mag articles, which are heavily ad influenced, and you damn well know it.

  17. #17
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,531

    British Magazine articles are pretty good....

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlygig
    ...magazine a$$ kissing review thread potentially wrongly influencing those undecided. If you can't handle hearing coments like mine, maybe you should think about that instead of trying to loft Hayes onto some pedestal far above other brakes with your ridiculous threads, as if you've won some sort of contest just by reading the hyped up reviews.

    Also, your saying now that you tried the Martas after they were sent back to you is contracdictory to what you'd originally said, and I'm not inclined to believe it, given your incredulous remarks elsewhere.

    We'll no doubt see threads soon from you selling the 5 Spot as well, over some conjured up nit picking there too.

    All I'm saying is Jaybo, if I'm going to see mag ad/review based posts keep popping up touting a certain product as the best, when I know perfecty well it's not true, I'm going to set the record strait, on what the poster's perspective seems to be.

    Now if YOU want to give your opinion on a particular product, that's what mtbr is based on, NOT hyping up mag articles, which are heavily ad influenced, and you damn well know it.

    Plus, I've ridden a ton of high-end brakes. I'll take Hayes over any of them. I woud like to try the new Juicy's and the Mono Mini (except for ridiculous shim system). Look nice.

    You don't think opinions are marginal on this board? Come on! People are in a state of delirium over their pet product. Besides, all the magazines gushed over the Spot. Maybe they were wrong and the Spot is a piece of crap. Goes hand in hand with your logic. Right?

    I won't sell my Spot for long time. I love it. I don't think it is perfect, but it is perfect for me.

    You are just picking a fight because I ruffled your feathers regarding your pet product: Magura Marta's.

    Jaybo

Similar Threads

  1. brakes that rub less than hayes?
    By velosapiens in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 07:13 AM
  2. fair price for used hayes brakes?
    By velosapiens in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 10:55 AM
  3. Ahoy! V-brake holdouts!
    By Padre in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 09:06 AM
  4. Anyone make a bleeder kit for Hayes brakes?
    By Locoman in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 10:05 AM
  5. Adjustable replacement levers for Hayes brakes?
    By Steve71 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •