mtbr member

Hayes Brakes - Shimano Rotors?

I recently switched out my Shimano mechanical disc brakes for a set of Hayes on my Kona hardtail. I kept the Shimano 6" rotors because I took the Hayes off of an 8" rotor setup on my other bike.

My question is this: The Shimano rotors are stamped "Resin Pads Only" but my Hayes pads are sintered metallic. Is this going to be a problem? The brakes do sound raspy although the braking power is there. I haven't taken it out on a real ride yet as I am not sure about the rotor/pad compatibility. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Uruk-hai
    I recently switched out my Shimano mechanical disc brakes for a set of Hayes on my Kona hardtail. I kept the Shimano 6" rotors because I took the Hayes off of an 8" rotor setup on my other bike.

My question is this: The Shimano rotors are stamped "Resin Pads Only" but my Hayes pads are sintered metallic. Is this going to be a problem? The brakes do sound raspy although the braking power is there. I haven't taken it out on a real ride yet as I am not sure about the rotor/pad compatibility. Any thoughts?
    I believe that you would wear the rotor down faster, and possibly make it hotter than average.
    Resin pads are a little softer, and possibly the Shimano rotors you use are slightly softer than a rotor designed for sintered.
    If you had hydraulic brakes the potential extra heat would be a major problem.
    Now since you have mechanical, I guess you'll just have to buy a rotor prematurely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poetic_Dancer
    I believe that you would wear the rotor down faster, and possibly make it hotter than average.
    Resin pads are a little softer, and possibly the Shimano rotors you use are slightly softer than a rotor designed for sintered.
    If you had hydraulic brakes the potential extra heat would be a major problem.
    Now since you have mechanical, I guess you'll just have to buy a rotor prematurely.
    Thanks P.D.

I guess I should have said Hayes hydraulic as that is what I installed. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. Thanks for the reply.