kona-tize me captain

hayes brake replacements

im new to hydro brakes so whats a good replacement pad for the stock ones when there all done? and how long do tey normally last with a god amount of riding done every week

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    im new to hydro brakes so whats a good replacement pad for the stock ones when there all done? and how long do tey normally last with a god amount of riding done every week
    Just this past weekend, after doing a bleed on my rear Hayes 9, I installed a pair of Cool Stop replacements. I'm looking forward to see how they perform. According to the LBS, they don't howl after getting wet, but they are are supposed to be a little softer than the original Hayes pads which means they will probably wear a little faster. I won't know if they are any better or worse until I've put some serious miles on them.
    Another day in paradise!

mtbr member

brake pads

I have Hayes brakes and was not happy with them at first. A sloppy mechanic had worked on the brakes while the bike was in the shop before I purchased it so I suspect there was brake fluid on the pads. I replaced the pads with the EBC Green pads and was astounded at how much better they were. I have since replaced these with what another shop said is a new compound by Hayes(the back side of the pad is black) and can't tell any difference from the EBCs. The original pads felt too hard, but then again, it may have been due to contamination. I'm getting 6 months out of mine and could probably go a bit longer, but didn't want to ruin the disks.