mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hayes bleed kit/cutting hoses?

Just wondering if the kit is necessary? From the pictures I've seen, it's a squeeze bottle and brake fluid. Can I do the same thing with a syringe and brake fluid from an auto parts store? I also have a Mityvac brake bleed pump for the car, but maybe that's overkill?

Also, I got my HFX-Mags OEM, and they are pre-bled. If I have to change the length of the hose, what would I use to cut it?

And finally, is there a page that details some of this stuff? I already have the PDFs from Hayes, but more info is always helpful.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    Just wondering if the kit is necessary? From the pictures I've seen, it's a squeeze bottle and brake fluid. Can I do the same thing with a syringe and brake fluid from an auto parts store? I also have a Mityvac brake bleed pump for the car, but maybe that's overkill?

Also, I got my HFX-Mags OEM, and they are pre-bled. If I have to change the length of the hose, what would I use to cut it?

And finally, is there a page that details some of this stuff? I already have the PDFs from Hayes, but more info is always helpful.

Thanks!
    The one problem i could see you having not using the 'hayes bleed kit' is the size of the hose that fits over the fitting on the caliper is a super tight fit. It creates a tight seal so the fluid won't leak while forcing it through the hose. If you could achieve that same tight seal with something else then go for it.

As for the hose, it cuts fairly easy, there is no wire braiding so you can use plain ole' scissors...SHARP scissors! You must get a clean perpendicular cut to get a good seal, may even want to try a utility knife.

Good luck, if you want my advice i'd say cough up the $20 for the bleed kit, it's probably well worth the cash you've already spent.