good trails please

New question here. Hayes to Avid Compatability?

I'm running some Hayes mechanical disc brakes (8") but am looking to upgrade to the '08 BB7's. 203mm rotors are the same as 8" (Avid sells in metric while Hayes goes by inches) so I am going to get those, but figured I should ask the internet just to make sure there won't be any problems. Will there be any issues converting, or can I just buy them and throw them on and ride without worries? If you look at the details (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Brake+08.aspx) for them, it doesn't say they come with levers. Will the Hayes levers I'm running now work?

Also, if you have any other valuable advice to throw in (key word is valuable, don't be like most PinkBikers and yell at me for my decision and how my brakes are inferior to whatever you have) it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Meh.
    Hayes rotors will work fine with those BB7s.

Yes, the levers being used with your Hayes brakes will work with the BB7 MTN.

You may want to replace all cables and housing. Housing should be nice smooth runs with no sharp bends. Ends should be cut very smoothly and opened up with an awl. A lube such as Rock n Roll Cable Magic, Boeshield, etc on a regular stainless non-coated cable will help it feel nice and smooth.

Go to the Park Tools website, go to the repair section. They have an excellent write-up about setting up the BB7s.

good trails please
    The brakes come the calipers, mounting, spacers, and rotors. Also, I just had new cables and housing put in by Performance, so I think I'm fine there.

mtbr member
    Make sure you do use the Avid adapters. While the rotor size may be the same, I made the mistake of trying to use an Avid adapter with a Hayes caliper and it didn't work because of Avid's caliper-positioning. Though your levers will work, even Avid's cheaper levers (FR5 I think) work really well with BB7 and Jenson has them for $13. I only mention that because I have read posts where people complained that BB7s weren't as powerful as they had heard/read and often they were running v-brake or other brand levers. We have 2 bikes with BB7s and FR5s and the brakes are extremely smooth and powerful.

Meh.
    Avid's CPS stack is compensated for by the caliper, NOT the adapter.

I have run my Juicy 7 calipers with Hayes rotors. I've set up Tektros and Hayes with Avid adapters. The only potential problem is that the adapter is too shallow and the caliper may bottom on the adapter before the bolts can be snugged up.

A mechanical disc brake uses the same cable pull as a v-brake... There is no mechanical disc specific lever. Besides, the FR5 makes the brake feel like poop. There's no linkage like in most other levers.

Any issues with not having power has to do with setup, break-in, contamination, etc.

mtbr member
    In my case the Avid 203mm adapter was definitely too shallow for a Hayes caliper, the rotor rubbed the inside of the caliper (these were on a Boxxer which has to be 203 so there is no mistaking the wrong size adapter). I am simply stating my experience. I have no problem with the FR5 levers. I, like most in this forum, know that v-brake and mech. levers are the same, I was simply suggesting that another $13 spent to have levers designed to work with your calipers (and others) may be beneficial. If you read the reviews many prefer the FR5 to the SD7 levers. They aren't wrong, it is just a preference. This forum is to provide opinions and suggestions, right?

Meh.
    IMO, those reviews are pretty meaningless. Most people only write a review to complain about a product. The majority of people will not go and write a review or even think about a product that has not given them issues. And there are instances where absolutely terrible products have higher/better ratings than superior products. Plus not all riders are at the same level to feel/notice the difference. Then throw in all that statistics mumbo-jumbo... Apathy... Population size... blah blah blah. But if you want to go buy the reviews anyways... the SD7s do have a higher rating than the FR5s. And reading through the reviews... I believe "many" is an exaggeration. Some prefer the FR5s because they never used the adjustment of the SD7. Some people are "set and forget." And I'm sure some of the difference felt can be attributed to proper setup... new cables... or something of the sort.

You do know the Boxxer takes a special adapter, right? People commonly have issues mounting brakes to Boxxers because they aren't aware that there's a Boxxer adapter that differs from other adapters. Same with Fox 40s taking 160mm QR adapter to mount up a 203mm rotor. And Marzocchi 20mm TA forks require a thicker adapter (or spacers) because of their offset tabs. Even shops order the wrong adapter from time to time.

Why spend 13 bucks to buy a crappy lever when you already have a pair that works fine and are "designed to work with your calipers (and others)?" There's a reason why these levers are so cheap... well... besides the fact that they came OE on a load of bikes.
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 12-30-2007 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    I agree with you about the reviews and respect your opinion about FR5s, but it is nothing more than your opinion. I have 2 sets and they are fine, why am I not allowed that opinion? By the time I put SD7s on BB7s I may have well have bought hydros ($ wise) so I simply suggested a cheap option. Boy, am I sorry I stated something you don't agree with.

And yes, I do know the Boxxer takes a special adapter and will tell you without question that for me, an Avid Boxxer adapter does not work with a Hayes caliper.

Will, I know I don't contribute here as often as you do and likely have nowhere near the experience with many of these things (and I am being sincere) but when I try to offer some input it would be great not to have each opinion shot down. Who knows, with all of the time that I am not on MTBR I may actually be learning and experiencing these things!

Meh.
    It's not that I don't respect your opinion... but you're suggesting an option to "save him money" when in fact it's unnecessarily spending more money... with little to no performance advantage.

You see what I'm getting at? I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a gigantic dick.

mtbr member
    Apology accepted. I have gotten a lot of good input from your posts Will, it just seemed you were disagreeing with everything. You are a good resource. I just figured if the OP is upgrading to BB7s then the levers on the current brakes may not be that good, not that FR5s are "all that". I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the Hayes mechs may be MX2s which often come with Tektro levers if no the Hayes mech. levers. I have experienced both and believe IMO that FR5s would be a cheap upgrade.