Thread: Hayes or Avid

Trek Fuel EX 7

Hayes or Avid

Ok need to upgrade from craptro mechanicals to hydro brakes. Want to know what you guys suggest.
    http://bobs-bicycles.com/itemdetails...gId=39&id=1041
    or
    http://bobs-bicycles.com/itemdetails...ogId=39&id=607
    What are the pros and cons of each?
    Do the avids have dual piston too?
    I mostly do XC w/fair amount of downhill. I like to be able to stop on a dime. I like the ndexed lever reach adjustment, but want a good set that will work for a long time and work great.

Thanks

Meh.
    Avids are opposing 2 piston.

I would NOT get the Hayes HFX9. The modulation is terrible. The reliability is questionable. Any 8" rotors are way overkill for XC.

The Juicy 7s are good brakes. They require a bit more patience during setup and bed-in, but they've been great to me for some time now.

The Hayes Mag is more comparable to the J7.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I love my Mags with 8" rotors.

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Any 8" rotors are way overkill for XC.
    I will have to disagree with you on this one, XSL_Will. While it is uncommon to see 7" and 8" rotors on XC machines, but that doesn't mean that they are way overkill...Depends on the rider's size and what the OP means by "a lot of downhill."

I'm a Clyde and live in an area where a river valley dominates the local riding. There are lots of long, moderately sloped trails that fit into the "XC" domain where a 6" rotor won't cut it for a larger rider. As you know, I ended up putting an 8" (though a 7" may have been sufficient) on the front of my bike because I was fading out. Sure, I have Hayes HFX-9 brakes, but I cannot blame the brakes....I have also tried it on a friends bike with Juicy 5's and had nothing left at the bottom then either...and no, I don't ride the brakes all the way down.

Granted, a lot of folks who ride XC like the lighter end of the spectrum and prefer the lighter weight both for the occasional race and for the better climbing...but that doesn't mean that a larger rotor will not be part of the package.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yep.. I agree with Mike..that 8" works ok for us bigger folk on XC trails...

Meh.
    Yeah... there are exceptions. But I think that for most people the 185s are plenty.

There are plenty of DHers going to smaller rotors these days.

Double-metric mtb man
    Agreed....heck, I'm seeing 140s on the back ends of DH rigs these days.

I guess these days, you put on what you need and shave weight where you can...
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Trek Fuel EX 7
    Thanks for all the info guys just ordered a set of Avid juicy 7's. Went to LBS's an just the feel of them was soooo nice I can't go back to anything else.