mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hayes 98-15068 vs Hayes 98-15282 for 20mm IS

Would anyone be so kind to explain the difference between Hayes 98-15068 and Hayes 98-15282 for a 20mm IS fork. I understand there's a different "offset" that 20mm IS mounts have, but can anyone quantify that? As in "QR is 5 mm to the right compared to 20mm" etc. I'm having a hard time figuring out which adapter I use for mounting my Hayes MX2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Depends on the fork. Fox and Rock Shox 20mm IS forks used the QR adapter, part number 98-15068, while everyone else used 98-15282. Don't ask me why as I am just a wrench in the topsy turvy world that is the bike industry.
    You are not what you own.

TNC
    noMAD man
    That 15282 is for a Marz fork. The 15068 is for basically "all others"...Boxxers and other oddball applications aside...if I'm reading this stuff correctly. So I'd say if you have a Marz fork, use the 15282. If you have a Fox, RS, etc. with IS fork mounts, use the 15068. At least that's what I think I'm seeing here. Why not just tell us what fork you have, and I bet we'd be able to correctly indicate the right adapter for your 6" rotor on an IS mount.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sorry, I thought I had indicated what fork I have. It's an RST ( ) Space. Yes I've seen the pics of the snapped prototypes, I like to live dangerously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Further researched showed that there's a ~ 5mm offset on some IS brake mount 20mm thru axle forks that puts the caliper out which can be remedied by spacers. I'll post again once I recieve my stuff and update in case someone has the same problem and searches for a solution.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettorider
    Further researched showed that there's a ~ 5mm offset on some IS brake mount 20mm thru axle forks that puts the caliper out which can be remedied by spacers. I'll post again once I recieve my stuff and update in case someone has the same problem and searches for a solution.
    I'm not sure on this, but is this the difference in the Marz fork adapter? It's been awhile, but I seem to recall something like this. In the Hayes selection it looks like there are only two basic adapters for 20mm IS fork tabs...Marz and "others"...again, Boxxer and maybe another oddball aside. And when I say "two", I mean for a specific rotor size. I'm getting fuzzy on recalling all these details. Anyone confirm this or have more info about this? I always refused to use the spacers that were occasionally supplied with some forks, as the exact adapter gave me a little better confidence concerning potential alignment issues. I've seen those spacers work just fine, but with all the potential of drag, squawking, and squealing you see that can occur evidenced even on this forum with disc brakes, I always felt that removing one more variable was the best choice.

Meh.
    Marzocchi has their tabs on 20mm TA forks offset by 5mm as compared to other makes such as Rockshox or Fox. The spacers work just fine as long as they are flat.