Thread: Hayes 9 stuck

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006

Hayes 9 stuck

brake stuck cant readjust.
    Haye 9(yes I know they suck) brake.

Almost new rotors, brand new pads, old but freshly rebleed caliper/and freshly rebuilt master cylinder.

I installed new pads forced the caliper open with a screw driver and installed the wheel/rotor back on the bike. The wheel is very hard to turn and is dragging on both sides. No matter how much I pry apart the caliphers I can not create enough space for the rotor to slide cleany though. I have also tried to loosen the caliper mounting bolt to let it float side to side. Nothing works.

how do I fix this? beside getting rid of the hayes 9....

its almost as if my last bleed was to good because the lever feel is straight up solid, and it hardly moves....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Maybe you have too much fluid for the new pads to clear the rotor. Did you fill the system before or after you installed the new pads?

Dirt Deviant
    Sounds like too much fluid in the system. If im not mistaken all you need to do is open up the bleed port on the lever and hook up a drain hose and pry the pads apart with a screwdriver. The extra fluid will come out of the lever.
    Worst case scenario, rebleed after wards.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

ride hard take risks
    What pads did you install??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    What pads did you install??
    jagwire pads for hayes nine.

the other 2 we re right there was to much fluid. I opened up the bleeder screw and let some fluid out and its fine now.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    jagwire pads for hayes nine.

the other 2 we re right there was to much fluid. I opened up the bleeder screw and let some fluid out and its fine now.
    Cool just had to check because I know some of the Galfers are a tad thick and need to be trimmed a wee bit.

If you find there is still tight clearance stick a .015 feeler gauge between the pads and rotor then bleed the excess out the same way you just did. One poster found a beer can can be cut then fold in half to double up and it's just under .015.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    i have the same problem on my front tire. same brakes: hayes nine. one of the pads is touching the rotor. i have never bled the lines. what should i do?

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi658
    i have the same problem on my front tire. same brakes: hayes nine. one of the pads is touching the rotor. i have never bled the lines. what should i do?
    If only one pad is touching then the caliper is probably just mis-aligned. You should be able to just loosen the bolts and move the caliper so the pad isn't touching and re-tighten. If this doesn't work, take the pads out, push the pistons back with the boxed end of a wrench so they are completely retracted. Put the pads back in and install the rotor but don't tighten the bolts completely yet. Squeeze the lever a few times and the pistons will pump back out, once you get a consistently firm feel at the lever hold it tight and re-tighten the caliper. This procedure resets the pads distance from the rotor. If there is still rubbing, visually sight the caliper as I described before. If this doesn't fix it then we can start talking about bleeding but I don't think that's necessary in your case.
    Bike good, work bad.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    If only one pad is touching then the caliper is probably just mis-aligned. You should be able to just loosen the bolts and move the caliper so the pad isn't touching and re-tighten. If this doesn't work, take the pads out, push the pistons back with the boxed end of a wrench so they are completely retracted. Put the pads back in and install the rotor but don't tighten the bolts completely yet. Squeeze the lever a few times and the pistons will pump back out, once you get a consistently firm feel at the lever hold it tight and re-tighten the caliper. This procedure resets the pads distance from the rotor. If there is still rubbing, visually sight the caliper as I described before. If this doesn't fix it then we can start talking about bleeding but I don't think that's necessary in your case.
    Or a flat blade screwdriver between the pads and twist from side to side evenly, Cm83's on it.
    Formotion Products