mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Hayes 9 new pads

I am replacing my pads for the first time on my Hayes 9s. The only problem is that I cannot push the pistons back into the caliper far enough to allow enough clearence for the rotor to fit between the new pads. I have pushed and pushed and tried many different methods including prying them with the old pads in there. It seems as if there is too much fluid in the system, is this possible? If so, how can I just let out a little bit of fluid? Is there a way to do this without bleeding the whole system because I know my bleed is good with no air in the lines. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Leave the old pads in and put a screwdriver in between them. Carefully pry the pads apart then pull the brake lever just a little and pry again. Repeat untill the pads are completely apart. Then put the new pads in. Put everything back together. I usually put something between the pad and rotor on both sides like a thick piece of paper and then pump the lever after everything is together. This gets the spacing set.

Funny you asked this because I just did this yesterday to my buddys bike and they dont rub at all and work perfectly.