mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Hayes 9 Lever does not spring all the way out.

I replaced my pads the other day and while pushing the calipers back in I suspect some of the fluid was squeezed out the reservoir. The brake still has power but when I let off the lever, it does not spring all the way out. I can then push it the rest of the way out. Anyone know if I just need to add more fluid or if there is some other problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Psycjester

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    well there could be a few problems first id bleed it and if that doesnt worrk i would take it to a bike shop and not wal-mart or canadian tire a real bike shop cuz 1 of my friends took a good buike there and they wouldnt help him so id bring it there and if its new enof and if its under warranty u can get a new 1 if its broken

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Wrongo

If the lever is stuck, the brake won't be able to get bled as the master cylinder piston will be blocking the port holes connecting the reservoir to the master cylinder.
    The problem is stemming from something other than what you're telling us. My hunches:
    a. You put some loctite on the pushrod at some point in time and it is now causing the lever to stick.
    Or...
    b. you tried to lube the lever and the petroleum product has caused the seals to swell up.

I think a. is far more likely as it is far more common. If you pull the lever and the lever blade itself sticks in position (i.e. doesn't flop around freely), this is a good indicator of the excess and improperly applied loctite. All you need to disconnect the lever blade from the main pivot (two 4mm allen heads) of the master cylinder body and turn the reach adjuster clockwise to back it off. Once disconnected you'll likely find the little barrel nut in the lever blade to be stuck in it's hole, and maay even need to use a small hammer and punch to gently tap it out. Clean the mating surfaces and reattach the lever to the master cylinder and you should be good to go.
    If it's case b., well, you'r pretty hosed as if a brake gets contaminated, 9 outta 10 you're better off buying a new brake as parts and labor add up pretty darn fast and approach the price of a new setup.
    Let us know what you find.
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Will Try.

I didn't lube it, but I did use some locktite on the reach adjuster since it seems to keep backing out. Maybe some dripped off of there. I havent taken the time to call Hayes and get the replacement parts. I'll take it appart and try to get it all cleaned. The lever does move around freely though. Goes back out on it's own except for the last 1/4 inch or so. I can push i tout the rest of the way with little or no effort.

Anyway thanks for the help. I'm out of state at training for work right now so I won' get a chance to mess with it untill Saturday. Let me know if you still think it is the locktite freezing it up. I'll definately post what I find.

Thanks again,

PsycJester

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Yep!

Total loctite issue. No worries. Give Hayes a call and they'll send out a set of the two piece adjusters which will remedy your self adjusting lever issue. Make sure NOT to use the ball end of a 2mm wrench when disconnecting the pushrod from the lever. That'll strip faster than a junior on prom night at a hotel party. Ask for Brian, he'll hook you up.
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd ask for John he's more knowledgeable and a better cook. : )

Randy

а ва&#1
    Quote Originally Posted by juancancook
    Total loctite issue. No worries. Give Hayes a call and they'll send out a set of the two piece adjusters which will remedy your self adjusting lever issue. Make sure NOT to use the ball end of a 2mm wrench when disconnecting the pushrod from the lever. That'll strip faster than a junior on prom night at a hotel party. Ask for Brian, he'll hook you up.

I guess I will... Glad to help!

True that...John is a better cook...his jerk chicken makes me blush

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job! Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by juancancook
    Total loctite issue. No worries.
    Yup. Took it apart like you said, cleaned it and I'm good to go. Took it a apart and saw where the loctite had the barrel nut seized in its hole. Once I cleaned that it worked perfect. Thanks a million!

PsycJester

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocipedaler
    I guess I will... Glad to help!

True that...John is a better cook...his jerk chicken makes me blush
    Does this mean there is going to be a cook off at the Otter!?!?
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot