Thread: Hayes 9 Junked?

A Man Of The Truth

Hayes 9 Junked?

So I spent basically all summer fully rebuilding my Manitou Nixon. It took that long for lots of reasons, but the biggest one being that Manitou makes absolutely terrible terrible manuals.

But tonight I finally finished up the fork.

Time to install it. This fork is going on a park/dj bike. The front brake goes through the stearer of the old fork. So I had to undo the brake (hayes 9) and pull it out, then hopefully put it back together while getting minimal air in the line.

I did not make it very far. The little nut that holes the cable to the lever, it was stripping when I tried to unscrew it. The bolt wouldn't budge at all, it just stripped the edges of itself. And the wrench was a perfect fit 8mm socket. After the wrench slipping twice without making any progress at all, I decided to step it up and use a vice grip. I clamped it on and turned forcefully. The threads of the nut still did not turn at all. But the part of the nut that is out threads, snapped right off. See pictures:

So is there any way this brake can be salvaged? I really was not planing on buying a whole new brake for this bike right now. I thought I was wrapping up the work on this thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    if you have the money and time look into hayes stroker trail or hayes prime, i had hayes 9 and did not like them what so ever. no modulation or power, hayes had junked these brakes and upgrade the strokers and brought the prime into play....but then it depends what kind of riding your doing....

A Man Of The Truth
    It's a park/DJ bike so braking power isn't an issue. I'd rather NOT buy new brakes for this bike, but I also don't want to go with just a rear.

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    You can probably repair using kit listed. I'd cut the hose off, put some wd-40 in the threads and let it sit overnight, and use an easy-out to get the nut out.
    Hayes HFX-9 Hose Kit > Components > Brakes > Hydraulic Brake Lines and Fittings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    pick up a used bb7 front caliper and brake lever- they are cheap and you can thread them where ever you want- they are a cable brake, and they work great with Hayes rotors.

A Man Of The Truth
    I used to have avid cable disc brakes. Even the "crappy" hayes 9's are better than cable brakes. Yes, even properly calibrated cable discs. I"ll probably just go with just a rear brake for now, and wait for one of my buddies to be getting rid of a brake and scoop it up. As good a plan as any, unless I can manage to get that broken nut out of the lever body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    I used to have avid cable disc brakes. Even the "crappy" hayes 9's are better than cable brakes. Yes, even properly calibrated cable discs.
    Are you serious?? Let me counter your statement with this: while I wouldn't want anything to do with ANY Avid hydraulic brakes, there aren't too many current brakes out there that are worse than "even properly calibrated" Hayes 9 from a decade ago.
    Avid mechanicals for one, certainly aren't those brakes.

Parking Lot Poser
    I have a Hayes 9 w/ carbon lever I'm looking to part ways w/. It has been completely rebuilt: new master cylinder reservoir cap, new piston/ internals in the master, & new seals & pistons in the caliper. I even have some pads that look marginal at best, & a spare lever. It was a rear brake that has a kink in the hose, the kink is about 33" from the caliper, should be more than enough to cut, and be used as a front. I even have the fittings once you cut the hose. (you would need to bleed it)
    I never ended up having the need for it so never bothered w/ fixing the hose. I would just be looking to get my cost of parts out of it $50.00
    Shoot me a p.m. If your interested I live in CT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hayes 9 Junked?-image.jpg  

feelin good is good enough

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    I used to have avid cable disc brakes. Even the "crappy" hayes 9's are better than cable brakes. Yes, even properly calibrated cable discs. I"ll probably just go with just a rear brake for now, and wait for one of my buddies to be getting rid of a brake and scoop it up. As good a plan as any, unless I can manage to get that broken nut out of the lever body.
    you obviously, have not tried the bb7s.