Thread: Hayes 9 buzzing

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Hayes 9 buzzing

Recently purchased a new (to me) bike w/ Hayes 9 brakes on it. This is my first set of disc brakes. I noticed that the front brake buzzes after it gets a bit of heat in it, like 3 min down a fire road w/ grade < 10%. This noise is not a squeel its a buzz. There is no loss of power nor does the brake lever get soft, so I don't think its a bleed issue. The buzzing noise doesn't happen to the rear brake, so its not a brake system issue. Plus, when the bike is in the stand, I can't recreate it. The pads are new and broken in. Any ideas on what I can do to stop the buzzing?

Thanks,

Ted

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    - Check if the caliper is centered on the disc (loosen bolts, press and hold lever while tightening again
    - Check if rotor is true
    - Check if pads are (unevenly) worn
    - Clean rotor with some kind of degreaser, e.g. isopropyl alcohol
    - Use organic pads instead of semi-metallic (if the brakes have semi-metallic now, that is)

if none of the above fixes it, I wouldn't mind too much, as long as the brakes stop your bike when you want them to

mtbr member
    My hayes buzz also on long downhills. My motorcycle brakes buzz when i brake heavy on the track too. I dont think there is a problem i have found that different brake pads buzz more than others.

mtbr member
    My Hayes started buzzing when I went to a 7" rotor on the front. Try a different style rotor.