mtbr member

hayes 9 bleed kit question

I have an Avid bleed kit for Juicy brakes. I now have a bike in the stable with Hayes 9 brakes (in addition to 3 bikes with Juicy brakes).

Is it possible to buy just the little fittings to attach to the caliper and lever, allowing me to use the syringes from the Avid kit to do the Hayes brakes? If so, where does one find said fittings. Are they standard parts? Can I go to an industrial hydraulics supplier?

It seems like this shouldn't be that difficult, but so far it is. I'd rather not buy the whole Hayes kit, as it doesn't look as easy to use as the Avid kit. It also looks sort of amateurish, with squeeze bottles, zip-tying containers to handlebars and so on. I find the Avid syringes quite helpful for drawing air out of the system, and keeping the fluid from spilling all over the place.

mtbr member
    Yeah, hayes doesn't do the whole valve thing that avid does. However, you don't even need a bleed kit to bleed hayes. I don't know how other do it, but I wrap paper strips around a hypodermic needle to seal it and pump fluid into the caliper. At the master cylinder aka lever, I use rubber tubing to take up the fluid. It's a bit tricky to keep the tubing in so that can get messy.

I'm A Pedalphile
    Bleeding Hayes brakes is a pain. I'm not sure how it's done with Juicy brakes, but with Hayes, you just need to pump fluid into the caliper via that little fitting at the top of the caliper, and then let it drain out of the lever. The lever is supposed to be at a certain angle, which I can't remember at the moment, but I think you turn the lever so that the actual lever is facing straight up.
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stderr
    I have an Avid bleed kit for Juicy brakes. I now have a bike in the stable with Hayes 9 brakes (in addition to 3 bikes with Juicy brakes).

Is it possible to buy just the little fittings to attach to the caliper and lever, allowing me to use the syringes from the Avid kit to do the Hayes brakes? If so, where does one find said fittings. Are they standard parts? Can I go to an industrial hydraulics supplier?

It seems like this shouldn't be that difficult, but so far it is. I'd rather not buy the whole Hayes kit, as it doesn't look as easy to use as the Avid kit. It also looks sort of amateurish, with squeeze bottles, zip-tying containers to handlebars and so on. I find the Avid syringes quite helpful for drawing air out of the system, and keeping the fluid from spilling all over the place.
    Hayes 9's are ridiculously easy to bleed. But you do need the little adapter that plugs into the lever. The caliper does not require an adapter. The hose just pushes onto the bleed fitting. Just turn the fitting 1/4 ish turn to open the valve. You just push fluid through the caliper up to the lever while old/excess fluid flows into a catch bottle. Use a 20oz coke bottle, drill a hole in the cap and feed hose into it, wrap a coat hanger around the neck, and create a hook to hang from the bars. It's as easy as it gets IMO. I have CODE 5's so I know how to bleed Avids and have an Avid kit. The Hayes bleed kit comes with a squeeze bottle instead of a syringe which is a bit chinsy but is also half as much as an avid kit. You can use a syringe but you need to remove the screw fitting. Ideally it would be helpful to have another Avid hose/syringe tip to use just for the Hayes.
    The Hayes kit is $19 at Universal. You might check your LBS and see if they have an extra adapter.
    It's much easier to bleed Hayes 9's than Avids if you have a modified bleed kit. But the Hayes bleed is not as thorough as the Avid procedure. But I have modified the Hayes bleed to incorporate the removal of dissolved gases in the fluid ala Avid.

Just found this:
    http://www.spadout.com/p/hayes-hfx-9-bleed-fitting/
    and this
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=BR4335
    Last edited by wormvine; 05-04-2009 at 11:47 PM.