mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Hayes 9, 6" to 8" swap with a Q.R. hub..........

I just ordered an adaptor to put an 8" rotor in place of my bent up 6" rotor on my Coiler. When I received the adaptor it was for a 20mm hub which was way to wide. So I called the supplier and they say Hayes does not recomend using an 8" rotor with Q.R. So I proceeded to prove them wrong and got out the hacksaw and file and did a little getto machining, shaved off 5 mm and it works great so far. Any of you know why this is not recomended? Is it stregth issues or what?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

You need the adapter for a Psylo...

Hayes makes an 8" adapter for the psylo which works with with fox, marz, RS QR forks.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beau
    I just ordered an adaptor to put an 8" rotor in place of my bent up 6" rotor on my Coiler. When I received the adaptor it was for a 20mm hub which was way to wide. So I called the supplier and they say Hayes does not recomend using an 8" rotor with Q.R. So I proceeded to prove them wrong and got out the hacksaw and file and did a little getto machining, shaved off 5 mm and it works great so far. Any of you know why this is not recomended? Is it stregth issues or what?

whistler
    Mar 2004

8" rotor on QR axle = bad

some people have had the QR skewer pop off from the extreme torsional force that an 8" rotor applies to the axle. its rare, but can happen, especially if you don't tension your QR skewer properly. that's why hayes (and many others) say not to do it. but if you're careful and check your QR every ride (at least), you'll likely be ok. having said that, the difference in upgrading to a 20mm thru-axle system is massive. so stiff, you won't believe it. makes the stiffest QR fork like my marz z1 fr sl feel like a noodle, nevermind the crap that fox and others make. but of course that means a new shock AND front hub (at least) = $$$.