mtbr member
    Oct 2005

have you worked on Formula B4s before,

my LBS bled the new B4s, (old brakes but brand new), and broke the small piston stop. This is the black ring that the pin from the lever locks into. This means the lever is flopping in the wind. There is a tool that you put into this ring, push and turn 90 degree to release the piston and piston stop. I can get a replacement part, but first I have to take it apart.
    Any help would be muchly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am looking for the same tool but can't find it anywhere. Pleeeease tell me if you find anything out

banned
    If I remember correctly, one must push the collar in hard and turn. In the end, I might have used a pair of needlenose pliers. I tried using a flatblade tool in the slots, but it didn't work, if I remember right. The needlenose did the trick in just a couple minutes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've just tried the needlenose idea and I could not get it to work. I think it may be a bit tight, nothing is moving up, down, left or right any other ideas? anyone know where to find the actual tool?

banned
    Push in, simultaneous turn...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    YES!!! It was very stiff but it worked in the end. Thanks a lot

One quick question and I'm ready to ride. Do I need a specific type of grease on this piston and the ones in the caliper? There is a warning in the instructions saying use only the type in the packet it comes with but I don't have one so I am being a bit cautious. Is there one you can recommend?

banned
    If you don't have a grease that is safe in DOT systems, just use brake fluid.