Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008

Have I buggered my new Formula R1s!?

Argh.......

Wanted to trim my hose lengths, seemed easy enough...bought the bleed kit.

Cut hose length to suit, installed new olives as per instructions but noticed when bleeding brakes its difficult to get correct brake lever pressure as when pushing and pulling on syringes brake fluid is leaking out of the back of the lever (against where it sits next to the bars). Pulling on syrige pulls air INTO the brake which is definitely not right.

The lever is semi-pressurised but nowhere near as it was prior to my cutting and refitting.
    I can also hear air moving somewhere which is perhaps the back of the lever too although it is hard to find exactly where it is coming from.

Argh.....long weekend this weekend and had a marathon ride planned which now looks like its off

AZ
    banned
    Do whatever contortions you have to do in order to purge air from entire system . Try bench bleeding levers without hoses , once bled attach hoses and bleed .

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I can try that but im worried that even with cables attached and syringe in place on one bleed port I can pull air into the syringe or push fluid out the back of the brake lever (theres a silver plate with four holes in which is leaking).

I think the air noise when actuating the lever after bleeding is the leaking seals - although i cant see any fluid coming out when I pull the lever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sounds like you may have lost one of those super tiny o-rings behind the bleed screws. Worth a look.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Checked orings, no its not that...its the problem reported here...

Formula R1 master cilinder issue

both master cylinders are leaking from the back - acn feel the pressure/vacuum with thumb when I operate syringe fitted to bleed port. Trying to fill with DOT fluid causes it to leak out the back of the brake....arghhhhh!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think you may be pulling to hard on the syringe and making it leak.You have to be very gentle.It can suck air in through the adaptor if it uses the same one as the "ones" it only seals using an o-ring.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Its entirely possible I over did something and moved or damaged a seal but regardless now even the slightest pressure on the lever or syringe causes fluid to leak so they need some TLC for sure. They are on their way back to Formula for a service. I understand there has been some other units showing the same fault in the last couple of weeks so maybe the seals had a finite life. These were ones of the first ones out of the factory so its possible they changes seals on later units.

Ive bought a pair of The Ones to tide me over whilst they are away. Ill be sure to treat these with kid gloves!

Appreciate everyones support
    Ian