Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

"Hate to do this but.." Hayes Stroker Carbon or XT 08 disc brakes

I hate to ask which is better question but i guess i'll just bite it and here goes >

I'm building a new bike - Yeti 575 and will be using it for aggresive trail riding with the occasional DH runs, nothing serious though. I'm 65kg/150lbs.
    How do these 2 brakes compare in modulation, stopping power(single finger), consistency, maintenance, etc.

I have a set of shimano wheels and so may have to run shimano discs or maybe run an adaptor if i wanted to use the Hayes discs.... any issues?

Anybody with experience with either brake set? I would be extremely grateful for some input. FYI, i've never run discs b4, I've always been on 'V's

Thanks.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have the 08 xts and they are great.... I had the previous model too and they are very good....and easy to bleed too...

mtbr member
    +1

BUT...but...the design aesthetics (I know he's not going to sleep with the brakes but its good to have a snazzy pair of disc crunchers) and feel of this years XTs just are not what they used to be in my OP - damn phillips head screws on everything (idiots). Plus I think the strokers are much easier to set up right and also bleed, with perhaps better modulation on heat. Although I think the XTs ARE lighter...? Not too sure of the top of my noggan.

Let me just say that I have not owned either brake but I have used them on numerous occasions for me to give you a VERY brief OP on both.

Id give the Hayes Stroker Carbon a whirl, they are SOOOOOoooo much better than their earlier stuff and they can be used in a broad medium of trails, which is not to say that the XTs can not of course because they can.

I have ridden the Hayes more than 6 times now on a FR bike and an XC/AM set up and I was quite impressed with how they performed in a mixture of environments and terrain...LOOK quite snazzy to boot. Just a simple OP if thats cool, pressed for time here.

banned
    Nov 2007
    keep it simple,go with the 2008 xt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ERCAT
    keep it simple,go with the 2008 xt
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

29ercat,
    What do you mean by keeping it simple?
    Do you mean that it's easier to use (setup, maintain, costs, etc) the XT over the Strok's?

mtbr member
    Hayes are probably easier to set up - Shimano uses shims, Hayes uses a slot. Shimano's tend to make more noise under various conditions. Hayes are alway quiet, in my experience. I don't actually think you can make a wrong decisison between the two of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Shimano uses shims
    what shims do you mean? (all current shimano brakes but XTR are PM calipers just like hayes)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I have the 08 xts and they are great.... I had the previous model too and they are very good....and easy to bleed too...

[SIZE=2]Iím sorry cris but Iím going to take offence to that, agreed the old ones were easy to bleed but the new XTís are possibly the hardest brakes to bleed you can get, if you read the magazines they will tell you this, it took the bad dealer I used 3 attempts to get it to a crap level and it took the second very good dealer a further 2 attempts to get it working as I would expect it, also you should know that even Shimano trained employees seem to find these brakes extraordinarily hard to get perfect.

[/SIZE][SIZE=2]The Strokerís have a much simpler design and less to go wrong. I have found them to be more powerful, I think they are lighter and from my own experience I have now found out you can easily contaminate the XT pads with Fairy washing up liquid, something that I use on all my other bikes fine. In short go for the Strokerís, they have nice carbon levers too.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    For my application, should I go with a 180mm-Front/160mm-Rear setup?
    Still can't decide on which brakes to go for though. My 575 is gonna be put together next week....
    need to decide soon.

If performance is similar....the Stroker looks good and a tad pricier. The XT seems common/utilitarian. I guess the Stroker's would up the 'bling' factor. But that's not the primary reason for choosing one or the other though but sure makes you feel good...

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Thereís hundreds of 575ís with XTís, buck the trend, be independent and individual, think how cool you will look with Strokerís, + you wont all look like a heard of sheep if you put the Strokers on your bike.

160 RR and 180 FR is usually the best thing to do for a trail bike.
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Iím sorry cris but Iím going to take offence to that, agreed the old ones were easy to bleed but the new XTís are possibly the hardest brakes to bleed you can get, if you read the magazines they will tell you this, it took the bad dealer I used 3 attempts to get it to a crap level and it took the second very good dealer a further 2 attempts to get it working as I would expect it, also you should know that even Shimano trained employees seem to find these brakes extraordinarily hard to get perfect.
    well..I have bled my 2 sets about 4 times in total now (cut hoses....cut one too short by mistake, replaced it, etc) and they were just as easy as my XT 760s and LXs....

maybe I'm not as hard to please as others... but I manage to get mine "nice enough for me" with no "sponginess" at the lever....

no need to get offended

mtbr member
    oops - I just have the XTR on my bike and I thought they were all like that.

banned
    Nov 2007
    the bleeding issues on the 2008 xt is news to me,if thats a fact you amy want to side step them.my call would be to go for the k25 formulas...thats the slam dunk

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Some have problems for life (well for along time it takes Shimano several times in the factory Iíve heard) and others donít and feel perfect which I find very odd. If you are interested, find a Scott dealer as they (also rather oddly) seem to have all their 08 XTís bled perfectly.
    [/SIZE]

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm going to beat him to the punch this time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogonfr (as I recall it)
    Hayes Strokers all the way...they rock!
    *chuckle*
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

banned
    Nov 2007
    just spoke to a friend running 2008 xt,no problems,he built them up,cal.,lever,& hose out of the box...bleed them himself,zero issues....great reviews

mtbr member
    Well at the end of the day, both brakes are good brakes. But personally, if I was strapped for cash and wanted to make an informed decision on the 2 with only one choice...honestly, I would buy the strokers (from your selection)...period!!!!

I guess it is not only a bling-thing either. I have to say that the strokers ARE easier to bleed, maintain, DO have better modulation on longer runs where the 08 Shimano XTs squeel sometimes and chatter with less power. The strokers new master cylinder design is so much better this year and delivers a fist full of power with out the generalized spongy XT feeling (I know, I have had past incarnations [not the 08 model though], and still have the classic 4 pots).

However, this is my basic opinion and without getting into a dictionary of details, I will leave just as that. But dont be a sheep with your choice, get what YOU THINK is best for YOUR bike and setup and not anothers...

mtbr member
    I'm leaning toward the strokers but i have the WM775 XT wheelset with centerlock ...of course.
    Can I use XT centerlock discs with the Stroker calipers? Haven't decided if I'd go with 160mm or 180mm.
    Cheers!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's Box
    I'm leaning toward the strokers but i have the WM775 XT wheelset with centerlock ...of course.
    Can I use XT centerlock discs with the Stroker calipers? Haven't decided if I'd go with 160mm or 180mm.
    Cheers!
    AS long as the rotors are the same size, i can't see why not. Proprietary stuff is the devil...

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

180 Front+160 Rear = LESS Skidding!

[QUOTE=Pandora's Box]For my application, should I go with a 180mm-Front/160mm-Rear setup?

Best thing you can do for yourself and the trails is 180 front and 160 rear! Makes a HUGE difference in control, especially at speed. You will find that you will not skid nearly as much w/the larger rotor up front, plus a larger rotor up front helps keep brake fade down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have the 08 XT brakes and the stopping power is great, but from my experience
    when the brakes are applied the levers are about 3/8” to 1/2” away from hitting the
    handle bar which makes single finger stopping impossible because the levers will hit
    your fingers that are holding on to the handle bar before you begin stopping. And
    loosening the Free-stroke screw makes the problem even worse, the levers will dive
    into the handle bar before even stopping you, so I’ve learned to just leave the
    Free-stroke screw in tight if I want to have any braking at all.

The fronts were re-bled by Shimano once and nothing changed, the rears
    were re-bled twice by me and once by a local bike shop and also nothing
    changed. So I’m guessing that’s how there’re designed ??

Broken and dizzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's Box
    For my application, should I go with a 180mm-Front/160mm-Rear setup?
    The carbons only come in 5", 6" and 7", so yeah, I'd go with the 180/160 set up. That's what I'm running on my 6.6 and am VERY happy with the set up. FWIW, they're out performing my Mag's with Goodridge lines on my Socom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfinguru
    The carbons only come in 5", 6" and 7", so yeah, I'd go with the 180/160 set up. That's what I'm running on my 6.6 and am VERY happy with the set up. FWIW, they're out performing my Mag's with Goodridge lines on my Socom.
    That is not true. I have a new set of Carbon Trail Stroker upstairs right now that came with 8" rotors.

mtbr member

Not carbon

But the stroker rides are very nice brakes; powerful and qu iet. Much better than the XTRs I was using but the XTRs don't have the resevior capacity of the XTs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    could someone explain how the reservoir capasity improves braking? thnx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast