mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Has anyone bled an 09 Magura Marta?

I just got a new set of 09 Martas and cut the hoses. I have the Magura bleed kit and the manual for the 09, but I don't understand the directions. The directions have two steps:

1) Screw one syringe full of mineral oil into the caliper
    2) Place another syringe with no plunger in the bleed screw of the lever resevoir

#2 makes no sense, and is obviously new for 09. If I just stick a syringe in the bleed hole without a way to screw it in, when I pressurize the system, won't oil just seep all over the place, rather than going into the syringe?

Any insight would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Guess I'll have to contact Magura...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I thought the 09 martas had a bleed port in the lever top cap that you connected the syringe too but removed the plunger so it acted as a reservoir to allow air bubbles to escape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    I thought the 09 martas had a bleed port in the lever top cap that you connected the syringe too but removed the plunger so it acted as a reservoir to allow air bubbles to escape.
    They do, but the syringe has no way to connect. If it's not threaded in, oil will just run out of the port the moment I pressurize the system with the other syringe. The instructions are very vague on this part, and I don't think they really thought it through. The only way I can see it working is if the syringe head is meant to thread into the bleed port, but the plastic would strip after a few uses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks like you have a part missing.There should be 2 connectors,one for the caliper and one for the lever.
    http://www.magura.com/uploads/media/...MARTA_09_E.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just looked again looks like you thread the syringe straight into the top cap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Just looked again looks like you thread the syringe straight into the top cap.
    Yah, that's the part that confused me. The directions just say "Put the second syringe of the service kit WITHOUT PLUNGER into the opened drill of the reservoir cover." Not thread it in, etc.

I guess I'll see if I can thread the syringe in, but it seems like a plastic on metal thread will last about two uses before it starts to leak.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would think if you gently thread it in it should last.The syringe is under no pressure,it only acts as an extra reservoir because it has the plunger removed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Curious of anyone else has tried to bleed the 09's. I'm going to try screwing in the second syringe this weekend, but I don't want to ruin anything.