mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Hard lever after hose shortening Shimano XT

Hello, just shortened my new xt rear brake everything seemed to go well but the lever is extremely hard and the pistons wont go back all the way. It takes a lot of pressure to press in the pistons as far as i have with a plastic tire lever, do I just have too much brake fluid for the new hose length? Thanks a bunch! would appreciate any feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Take the wheel out and remove the brake pads. using a q-tip, swab some mineral oil on the sides of the pistons. Grab a rag and open the bleed screw 1/4 turn (with the rag over the opening), and push the pistons back into the caliper body (gently).

I imagine that should take care of your problem. If not, you should start investigating other things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Take the wheel out and remove the brake pads. using a q-tip, swab some mineral oil on the sides of the pistons. Grab a rag and open the bleed screw 1/4 turn (with the rag over the opening), and push the pistons back into the caliper body (gently).

I imagine that should take care of your problem. If not, you should start investigating other things.
    Yes you are correct, just opened the bleed screw and then pushed the piston backs with ease. everything feels like the XT goodness that it should be. Appreciate the response!!!