mtbr member
    Apr 2011

hard choice... Stroker Ace's vs Code R's

my head hurts from trying to figure out what to buy... my old brakes were hayes hfx mag's tottaly happy with them but they died in a crash... i am a big guy 245 with gear and beer.... i ride a 45 pound trek session 7... i am sure the riders that ride avid will say get the codes and the hayes riders will say get the Ace's... any input?

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Saints or zee

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by itstreky View Post
    my head hurts from trying to figure out what to buy... my old brakes were hayes hfx mag's tottaly happy with them but they died in a crash... i am a big guy 245 with gear and beer.... i ride a 45 pound trek session 7... i am sure the riders that ride avid will say get the codes and the hayes riders will say get the Ace's... any input?
    Right. I have Codes on my Kona and the new Ace on my Yeti (ASX)

Codes definitely require less effort to bring down the speed. great modulation.
    ACE, no regrets, they require slight more effort, for extreme steep stuff, but that's about it.

6'4" 235 geared

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks rudster good info... and wyatt of course saints or zee but for the price of 1 i can get a set of ace's or codes....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Codes have crappy modulation. Hayes have WAAAY better modulation, which equals more control when stopping instead of skidding to a halt. The Hayes are harder to lock up the brakes, though. That being said, I replaced my Codes with new XTs, and put my Hayes on my DH bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks... i like my brakes to lock up i can tap em to make speed adjustments... i am goin with the codes